Gutter Downspout Positioning

Old 09-15-15, 09:35 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gutter Downspout Positioning

So I did a gutter installation with my father yesterday, and we ran into quite a few problems. One of these was the positioning of the downspouts. These gutters were going up on a log cabin home that has logs sticking out on each corner of the house. the gutters extend out past the corners of the house because of the roof overhang of course. When cutting out the downspout holes, we couldn't put them at the very ends of the gutters because they would be very difficult to run down the logs that stick out from the corners of the house. Long story short, we put the downspouts about two feet from the ends of each gutter. Is this going to cause pooling of water at the ends of the gutters, or slow up drainage to the point where water won't go down fast enough?

Old 09-16-15, 02:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You should have no problem with drainage with what you did. Water will seek the lowest point and as it rises in the gutter, will find the downspout. Good decision.

Old 09-16-15, 02:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Get yourself some self levelling sealant like Geocel 2310 and pour it into the final 2ft of the gutter. If that end is low (due to the gutter pitching that direction) it will fill in the low spot beyond the drop, so that at least it will be level.

Old 09-16-15, 03:03 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Self leveler sounds like a good idea, that should prevent any pooling at the ends. I think I am going to install some gutter guards as well, there is already a ton of stuff building up in there and its only been a couple days! No rain yet to see how the drainage works though...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: