Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Caulking and trim to divert rain from siding to pavement (PHOTOS)

Old 09-16-15, 08:19 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

When my mobile home was installed, a concrete driveway was installed that nearly touches the skirting. There seems to be some kind of mysterious spongy material sandwiched between them.

Years later, a walkway of rectangular pavers was added. Its distance from the skirting varies from almost zero to about 1.5 inches, due to uneven construction and warping I guess.

For both kinds of pavement, rainwater runs down the siding and continues between skirting and pavement. The ground retains the moisture. When viewed from the crawlspace underneath the home, the skirting shows water stains and white mold.

What's the best way to minimize how much water reaches the dirt?

Should I add some kind of wide trim to that skirting, to divert the water? Can I seal it all with special caulk that will stay bonded to both the trim and the pavement?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-15, 03:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
I'd remove that skirting [or at least the bottom portion] and replace with something that moisture won't harm. That siding will fail sooner or later if it continues to get wet.

Old 09-17-15, 06:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 590 Votes on 544 Posts
I don't think there is much you can about the space between the skirting and concrete. Maybe a small lip or drip edge to help stop water from running down the siding but I don't think it will be very effective at getting the water far enough away. I would increase the ventilation in the crawl space to try and get the humidity down to discourage mildew.