Replacing shingles

Old 09-22-15, 08:34 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing shingles

I am replacing a roof for my boss. I have always helped but never taken front on a project like this.
Roof is 800 sq feet so fairly small.
Tommorow plan is to remove the old roof and prep it so when our other crew shows up we are ready.

We have a peel and stick membrane for the entire roof, does this go on first or does the drip edge?

I have mostly seen the drip edge first then the membrane.

The roof style is a pyramid. On the ridge cap going from the highest point to the lowest point we're the gutters are, what is the best practice? Cut the first membrane along the ridge then on the other side just enough to provide a 3-4 inch overlap from the previous cut?

Old 09-23-15, 02:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Your mfg instructions will usually specify you adhere it to the wood deck, not to the flashing. It also specifies the butt joint overlap, usually 6". So on a hip you can cut one side right on the hip and lap the other side 6" over.

Old 09-23-15, 02:55 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Read the instructions on the membrane to see if it has restrictions on the type of wood decking material. Some rolled roof membranes specify placement over plywood only and not OSB. OSB's contain wax which interferes with some adhesive bonds. Will there be finished shingles put on top or is the membrane the finished material?

Old 09-23-15, 06:04 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Shingles

Will there be finished shingles put on top or is the membrane the finished material?
The thread title says "Replacing Shingles".

Old 09-23-15, 02:47 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Don't know why a clarifying question about shingles needed to be called out. Simply saying "replacing shingles" does not necessarily imply with more shingles. Does the statement "I'm replacing my asphalt driveway" imply that it will be with asphalt again and not poured aggregate?

There are whole roof membranes (peel and stick) that are the finished material without the need for shingles on top. Does that make my previous statement about OSB vs Plywood any less valid?

More to the OP's question-
Cut the first membrane along the ridge then on the other side just enough to provide a 3-4 inch overlap from the previous cut?
You start the membrane from the lowest point and move up toward the ridge, finishing at the peak for proper drainage.

Old 09-23-15, 04:37 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Question

Czizzi, it was never my intention for anyone to be "called out". I apologize if I have offended you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: