Ledger Board for Patio Roof

Old 09-28-15, 01:14 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ledger Board for Patio Roof

I have 3 questions. First, If I'm using 2x6 rafters (12 feet long), does the ledger board that's attached to the house's exterior wall have to be also a 2x6 or is there a benefit to making it bigger, like lets say a 2x8?

I know that normally you put the Ledger Board Flush with the exterior wall for a patio roof that's attached to the house. But I'm wondering if i can rest the ledger board on top of the exterior wall plate by cutting the eaves of my house flush with the exterior wall and then cutting in another 1.5 inches more in so I can rest the ledger board on top of the wall plate and lag bolt it to each rafter on my house.

Last questions is more of a recommendation/personal opinion I guess. I can't decide on the roofing, I know low slope roofs can be a pain so I'm trying to put something that will last the longest. I'm in California, no snow and hardly any rain.

Old 09-28-15, 01:31 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Any reason the roof has to attach to the house? I'm not a fan of punching holes into outside walls of homes and making leaks more likely.

What kind of slope are you anticipating on the roof?

Old 09-28-15, 02:24 PM
P
I wish I could get at least 3:12 for shingles but as of now I have 1:12... If I can rest the ledger board on top of plates I can maybe get 1 1/5:12 slope... The slope on the current roof On the house is 3:12 so to match the patio roof to it would require to much unfortunately

Old 09-28-15, 05:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If you can set it on your top plate, make it as wide as you need to. Ideally you'd want the top of it to plane out with the top of your rafters.

Old 09-28-15, 05:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
One thing to consider, too, 2x6 lumber can only span 11' 4", so you are starting overspanned to begin with. Also with such a shallow pitch, you may be relegated to steel or roll roofing as shingles will allow capillary movement of water.

Old 09-28-15, 06:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I thought about that too, but it depends what sort of load rating is required in his area. Maybe this table will help. http://www.wclib.org/pdfs/simpspantbls.pdf

He will likely want to go with 16" on center spacing. I assume no snow load, and no finish ceiling? (See appropriate rafter table)

Old 09-28-15, 08:40 PM
P
The rafters are 12 feet but that's with a 1 foot overhang so from the ledger to the beam is 11 feet, and they are 16 o.c with no ceiling. Definately not doing shingles, I was thinking of epmd rubber stuff or rolled roofing.. Not a fan of metal ones but if that has less chance to water leaks then I'll do that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: