HDPE pipe and PVC fittings - Silicone Caulk Bond??

Old 09-24-15, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HDPE pipe and PVC fittings - Silicone Caulk Bond??

Does anyone know if 100% silicone caulk will bond polyethylene (triple wall HDPE) to PVC? The builder used these products together for the downspout drains and none of the joints are secured together. I know PVC cement will not work. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-15, 01:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 267 Votes on 242 Posts
I don't know of any liquid glue that will "weld" to HDPE like you can with PVC or ABS. Some things will sorta stick like silicone but I would not say it glues them together. I would use screws to mechanically fasten the two together if they ever develop the problem of coming apart. But if they stay together with silicone caulk I'd go with that so you don't have screws protruding into the drain area that can snag debris and possibly cause a clog.

Old 09-26-15, 08:17 AM
Did you try Ferco fittings?

Old 10-09-15, 10:58 AM
Sorry it's been a while. Here's what I found: 16 oz. Low VOC Drainage Adhesive - Clear-VPC 60 - The Home Depot

This is supposed to glue HDPE to PVC. The reason for this is I'd like to make sure the elbows next to the house don't leak or come apart, pouring water on the foundation.

I don't want to go the fernco route due to cost, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll give this glue a try.