Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Best waterproof coating for a flat (1/12 pitch) asphalt roof

Old 09-25-15, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

This is another problem that I have right now, but it has nothing to do with a roofing contractor.

My mother's old home (built in 50's and 60's) by my father and his 3 sons....me being the youngest.

The back section of the house (maybe 450 sq. ft). has a almost flat roof (maybe 1/12 pitch) that is presently covered with 90 lb. asphalt roll roofing.
The rest of the house (approx 900 sq. ft.) has 3 tab asphalt shingles that are in pretty good condition.

I tore off the old Roll roofing about 15 years ago and installed new roll roofing.
I lapped the joints a little more than 1/2 it's 36" width, and it's done a pretty good job until now.
My mother has passed away, but she left the home to me and my two brothers (one of who is also gone now). My other brother lives in another city and is not in good health, so it's up to me to try and keep the old place in some sort of decent shape. I do it because I have 3 uncles that have lived on this family property all of their lives, are old and not in good health, and I just don't want them to witness this old home fall down. My father was the oldest brother of 9 kids, and 5 of them are still living...all close.
I currently rent the house to my first cousin for just enough money to pay the insurance and taxes. Neither he or I are even remotely wealthy, so a complete tear off and re-roof is out of the question.
My brother and I plan on selling the home after our family that grew up on the property dies out.

What I want to do is recoat the existing (roll) roof section with a waterproof coating. I will have to do a little work to get the roll roofing in shape to coat. It has bubbled in a few places, and has developed a few leaks.
The rood decking is 1 x 6 yellow pine, and is still solid.
I'm looking at a product made by Henry that's called 287 Solar-Flex White Roof Coating. Product number is HE287SF871. I figure that I can apply 3 thick coats of this stuff for less than $250. It is sold by Home Depot, is Latex base, and applies by roller or brush.
Does anyone ever used this product? Any better suggestions?

Sorry again for the long post
Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-15, 02:02 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you have bubbles & leaks, I think you would be better off with a roofing cement. Use it in the obvious places.

My brother and I plan on selling the home after our family that grew up on the property dies out.
While that isn't part, of DIY HOW-TOs, that's really not a good plan. It would be better to sell it now unless your cousin has no place to go. All that is between you & your family. Since you mentioned it, I thought that I would comment hoping that it will help you, in the long run.