Roof leak I can't figure out.

Old 09-28-15, 05:09 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roof leak I can't figure out.

I have a leak around my furnace vent. It's generally been manageable as it comes down in the same spot, usually will never fill a big bowl in 24 hours however we had 2 days worth of rain recently and more water game in different places next to the furnace and took out a mains power outlet.

I needs to be stopped.

I'm not much of a DIYer and was hoping there's something I can do.

Roof isn't in too bad of a shape, may be only 10-12 years old.

However, the roof is very low pitch.

Sorry about the pics there's some auto-rotating stuff doing on. They are high res if you click on them however.

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-15, 05:14 AM
W
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Vent

The vent pipe needs flashing where the pipe comes through the roof. The uphill half of the flashing goes under the shingles and the downhill half of the flashing sits on top of the shingles.

Old 09-28-15, 06:51 AM
J
Ah ok thanks. As far as a youtube vid shows me something that I can't do myself but something someone with experience can do... and shouldn't cost too much.

Old 09-28-15, 08:03 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 631 Votes on 583 Posts
While it's likely that vent is the source of the leak have you gone up in the attic to verify? It's possible you have a leak somewhere else.

Old 09-29-15, 02:10 AM
J
It's a mobile home with a very low pitch roof so there's no access without removing part of the ceiling... but no I haven't verified, just assumed.

Old 09-29-15, 07:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
You are probably right. There is cracking and looks like nail head pops around your vent. Still, give the roof a thorough looking over when you are up there for any possible leak locations.

ost sneaky that I see are nails who's head has rusted off and the shank works it's way up poking a hole through the shingles. It leaves a small 1/8" diameter hole that's hard to spot but is big enough to let in an annoying amount of water.

Old 10-01-15, 11:01 AM
J
Had a guy come look at it today. He said $50 to do a reseal of all the vents on the roof. And then $350-$400 worst case scenario for the vent. And that scenario being having to replace the wood underneath and reshingle that area that may be replaced.

Sounds about right?

Old 10-01-15, 01:28 PM
P
Group Moderator
Re-seal of the vents sounds like just painting on another layer of roofing cement. I guess OK for a short term Band-Aid but I would not call it a "fix". If it's a proper roofing company doing the work then $50 is sounds like a reasonable price but it's high for just a guy off the street.

The price for replacing the vent could be anything. Have you been up on the roof yourself? Step on the area next to the vent. Is it solid or does it squish or give? If it's solid then flashing is probably all you need and maybe replacement of the shingles that got painted with roofing cement. If it's squish the cost goes up a bit as the sheeting should be replaced back to joists/rafters on either side which will entail replacing a few more shingles as well.

Old 02-19-16, 03:52 AM
J
I generally come back to threads after it's all been resolved, but forgot about this one.

$50 for a quick seal around all the vents then $400 to replace the wood and singles around the vent. The wood he pulled out of there was like cereal that'd been left in milk for 5 days.

No more leaks! All good.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 02-19-16, 08:05 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
But you made sure he did install proper flashing along with the new wood and shingles, yes? The trouble with a lot of so-called handymen is that they consider themselves contractors because their credentials consist of a dog and a pickup truck.

If he did install flashing, it will be visible (from the outside) where it lays on top of the downhill shingles. If he didn't, you can count on some future leaks at the same location.

Old 02-22-16, 09:14 PM
J
I went up and checked, and yes he did. The guy's been working of roofs his entire life, with a company and privately.

Old 02-22-16, 09:42 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is flashing instead of a roof jack or is that what is meant in the answers?