Foundation Drain Location

Old 09-29-15, 08:07 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Foundation Drain Location

A buddy of mine is trying to determine if his foundation drain is on the outside or inside of his foundation. He has a sump pump in the basement slab with two corrugated pipes draining into it. He needs to tap into one of the pipes to provide drainage for his window well, which is below grade and prone to flooding. Question is, is it more common for the drain to be on the inside or the outside of the foundation? He said him and a buddy dug down to the footer and didn't see a pipe, but I dont believe the dug below the footer.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-15, 05:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The perforated buried pipes could be both inside and outside the footings. I know of a builder that always did it on every home on all homes he built. It was cheaper than complaints and squabbles since it was automatically done on every home, which made the cost very low.

A good installation has the buried pipe with the bottom below the bottom of the footing and about 4" out from the side of the footing.

Dick

Old 09-30-15, 07:01 AM
M
Thanks. I don't believe he dug below the footing, so that is probably why he didn't see it (assuming it's on the outside). There are only two pipes discharged into the sump, so it's likely one of the other right? Is a foundation drain typically laid around the entire foundation or only in the spots prone to drainage issues? And for a rectangular foundation, would the builders likely have looped one continuous pipe around the entire foundation then fed both ends into the sump?

Old 09-30-15, 01:38 PM
M
I suppose we could just install a perforated drain pipe vertically right in the center of the well that leads down to the footing. It wouldn't matter if the existing drain pipe is on the outside or inside. The objective is to prevent the water from backing up inside the well and instead divert it to the drain below. I'm assuming it would be best to fill the entire well with coarse gravel? Especially considering the soil is mostly clay.