Changing roof framing for second dwelling

Old 10-08-15, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Changing roof framing for second dwelling

Hi:

I bought a house in the Bay Area last year. I have an 18x18 accessory dwelling structure (aka big shed) on my property that is next to the swimming pool. I would like to use solar pool heating panels to warm up the pool and want to put these panels on the roof of the shed. The problem is that the shed has a north south ridge line on the roof and so if I were to put the panels there, they would face East or West. Since the shed is dilapidated, I was thinking of re-framing the roof so that I can make the panels face due South. Ideally, I would like to have a long 18 foot slant roof, sort of like this one - http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...d/IMG_3369.jpg, so that I can put the max number of south facing panels on the roof. The longer term plan is to refurbish this structure and possibly use it for AirBnB.

Some basic questions:
- What do you think of the feasibility of this plan?
- how difficult is it to rip the existing framing off this structure? I have tools such as a sawzall, nail guns and have some basic handy skills.
- Can I reframe it with slant roof trusses on the existing walls? Do I have to replace the top plate or something?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-15, 12:41 PM
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
Need a picture of your shed.
Strip the shingles, plywood or whatever they used for sheathing, remove rafters.
Should be no need to remove or change the top plate if it's not rotted.

Old 10-08-15, 03:28 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Shed Roof

Tear off the existing roof down to the top plate. Have custom trusses built to make the roof line you want.

Here is a line sketch:

Have the truss designed with the pitch you want to maximize sun exposure on the solar panels.

Last edited by Wirepuller38; 10-08-15 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-08-15, 05:10 PM
That looks perfect, thanks! I will take a picture of the sad structure and post it after I get home.

Old 10-09-15, 11:40 AM
Name:  shedpic.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  30.2 KB

Here is the picture of the shed.

In the picture, we are looking Southwards. The ridge of the structure runs due North South, so our viewpoint is looking a bit West of South.