replace or coat a PVC flat roof

Old 10-16-15, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
replace or coat a PVC flat roof

I have a roof over my porch that was put on at the latest in 1988. Could also be from 1983. It is a white membrane on a 650 sf flat roof. Just a little poonding in the center. I figure because TPO and EPDM was not put on in the USA till later it is probably a PVC roof. The "patches" around the edges--they look like ports, probably to where the flashing was fastened-- are split and coming up. I also noticed some screws in the center from the sub-roof beginning to come up and slightly penetrate the membrane (though I cannot be sure if they actually penetrate yet). The material appears to me to be becoming just slightly inflexible and I have found one slight crack in it. I am in the southeast where the sun gets pretty hot and we do get an occasional hurricane. People tell me the roof doesn't look in too bad condition.

Seems to me I have 2 choices: either repair or replace. If I repair I can just patch the torn spots and patch over the screws that are coming up. Or, I can do this and then use an elastometric coating over the roof. However, if I use a base coat and an elastometric coating such as a Gaco product made specifically for a PVC roof it is pretty expensive. Doing it myself I can probably get away with around $600. Someone who I called about it quoted me around $1000 to do the job, with materials.

It doesn't look too hard to put an EPDM roof on it and I have extra roofing shingles if I needed them for where I tie it into the inclined roof. I could get a 60 mil piece of EPDM in one piece and only need to penetrate where it is flashed. I checked on the cost of materials and they are around $1000 including adhesives, sub-roof, etc. The guy I spoke with about it thought that with labor I was looking at around $1800. But I think I can do it myself.

Any thoughts on what i should do? coat or re-roof with the EPDM. I am not sure how long I realstically can get out of either repair so I can't figure which is the more cost effective. If i use the expensive elastometric coating now I don't want to have to re-do it in 5 years; jsut adds to the long term expense of the roof. Maybe in that case I should re-roof? Any suggestions?

If I re-roof I am thinking of putting the sub-roof right over the old PVC roof and adhering the EPDM to that. Is that a bad idea or will it give me more protection. I also thought that i would use a white elastometric coating on the EPDM, since for that material it is a lot less expensive than for PVC. thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-15, 06:28 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I can't answer most of your questions but I do know that I would NEVER put a new roofing material over the old, failing roof. Tear it off down to the substrate and do it correctly if you are going to do it at all.

Old 10-16-15, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks very much. I have another related but different question. I will ask it as a new thread.

Old 10-16-15, 11:03 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
If it pertains to the roof, ask it here. It gets confusing to have several threads asking questions on the same core subject.