Installing louvered grates over wire basement ventilation

Old 10-17-15, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing louvered grates over wire basement ventilation

Hello,

In advance of our El Niņo winter I want to replace our current wire basement ventilation with louvered grates. I've noticed water coming in before, so it's been on my list for a while. The challenge is that we have stucco siding, so I'm looking for a way to avoid tearing the wall apart.

The current wire grate is here. There are about 12 more around the house. It even has a little gap in the bottom (zoom here) that I assume is letting water through to the framing.

The question I have is whether I can simply drill in and anchor louvered face plates like these on top of the existing holes, then caulk around both the edges and the screws and stucco patch over the edges. I'm not sure if the caulking will adhere to the existing stucco or if there are other issues I'm not considering. These holes are in low-visibility areas around the house, so this is all about function and not form. If there is a better way to do this that doesn't involve tearing into the wall I'm all ears. Thanks in advance for your input.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-15, 12:59 PM
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
That's some nasty looking vents.
I'd get rid of them and install these.
Shop Air Vent 17.1-in x 9.5-in Plastic Foundation Vent at Lowes.com

Old 10-17-15, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I was looking at some of those, but the size is a little strange: 14" x 5.5". I couldn't find a louvered vent in that size, so I assumed I'd have to put something on the face of the hole.