What are these in-ground drains/reservoirs?

Old 10-28-15, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What are these in-ground drains/reservoirs?

Hello and thanks for having me.

I have two in-ground drains in my backyard. One is next to the central AC compressors, and the other accepts drainage from the gutters.

When I peer inside, there's standing water. Are these just holes in the ground or do they go somewhere? Should there be standing water in them and should I pour in anti-mosquito pellets?

Thanks a bunch

Name:  foto_no_exif (1).jpg
Views: 314
Size:  51.7 KB
Name:  foto_no_exif.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  51.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-15, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 517 Votes on 487 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

We can't really help you as far as telling you how they're connected. They appear to be drains.

Are they inline with each other ?
Take the cover off..... do you see any pipe in the bottom of the box ?
Maybe just crushed stone ?

Try running water in one if you see pipe and think it's connected to the other and see if the water runs thru. You need to think as to their location and since water runs downhill.... they would have to drain somewhere lower than they are located.

Old 10-28-15, 06:02 PM
I opened up the covers and can see that they connect together. The one closest to the front yard has a second hole that goes out toward the direction of the street. There's no opening anywhere in the front yard so I suppose it goes into the sewer?

There's a perpetual 3" of water in each one so I'm thinking about putting mosquito larvae inhibitor inside.

Name:  drain (1).jpg
Views: 317
Size:  50.4 KB
Name:  drain (2).jpg
Views: 270
Size:  52.4 KB
Name:  drain (3).jpg
Views: 229
Size:  50.4 KB

Old 10-28-15, 06:15 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you don't see a pipe exiting to daylight anywhere, they likely go to a storm sewer if you have them there in NJ.

The boxes themselves are small catch basins designed to trap leaves and such so the pipes don't get clogged up. That's why they are deeper than the pipe outlet. The debris falls to the bottom instead of going into the pipes. You should keep them cleaned out of debris, but they will always have some water in them (except after prolonged dry spells), so mosquito tablets aren't a bad idea. When I put them in, I overdig the hole and fill with crushed stone, and then drill a few small holes (like 1/4 inch), so they drain completely eventually, but large amounts of water don't go into the ground near the foundation.

Old 10-28-15, 06:29 PM
Makes a lot more sense. Thank you both!