Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Metal Roof Leaking, High Wind, Dust, Seals Seem Insufficient/Missing

Metal Roof Leaking, High Wind, Dust, Seals Seem Insufficient/Missing

Old 11-10-15, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Metal Roof Leaking, High Wind, Dust, Seals Seem Insufficient/Missing

I have a good condition roof on a section of my house that was installed on an addition in the 70's. Originally, the area was simply the back porch but then was covered, and eventually enclosed for a greenhouse/outdoor area/hot tub, etc...

We've lived here 5 years and every year it seems the situation worsens, regardless of what efforts we've taken to resolve. The bolts that hold the panels tight continually come loose, and the foam that appears to have been originally installed near where the roof meets the rest of the house is all but gone and/or too brittle to do much.

We live in an area that experiences extreme temperature changes, drops to -40 for weeks in the dead of winter, has significant winds twice a year, and because of agriculture, we deal with a lot of dust/dirt flying through the air.

I've tried tightening the bolts at least each Spring and Fall, caulking where the panels raise the most because the bolts can't take hold anymore, and I purchased a liquid sealant that is painted on, but have not used it yet. I'm at a loss.. The roof line is below the lowest portion of the roof on the house, where the two different sections meet, by 4" (the greenhouse/covered-enclosed porch and the original house), and I think this is where the majority of the water enters (it just blows up hill). And at this point, it's damaging the sheetrock in the interior.

I can't find the "foam" stripping to replace anywhere online or locally. We live in a very rural area with few resources, especially professional services, so we're on our own. I'm at a loss.. thinking of installing a tarp if I can't figure out a better solution before the snow in a day or two.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-15, 10:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Not sure what bolts you are referring to
Pics would probably be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 11-10-15, 10:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 242 Votes on 221 Posts
I wonder if the root problem may be under your roof. Either the framing underneath is rotten or the bolt holes are stripped out. Either way if the bolts can't stay tight then the gaskets under the head won't seal and you can get leaking.

Old 11-10-15, 10:40 AM
Fasteners.. not bolts, sorry. Wasn't thinking when I typed that. Learning terminology as I get into this.

Old 11-10-15, 02:19 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Metal Roof

What is the profile of the roof panels? With that info, perhaps we can help you find the gaskets you need. Longer screws may help your loose screw problem.

Old 11-11-15, 09:21 PM
I will get pics and measurements tomorrow... Thanks all for the help.