Help with deciding on roofing contractor.....

Old 11-11-15, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with deciding on roofing contractor.....

I am in the process of unfortunately hiring a roofer to put a new roof on our 20 year old house that we just moved into.

Depending on the contractor our house is around 25-38 squares. Most are saying its 25 squares. The top floor is around 1800 square feet(interior)

We have received quotes from $7500 to $18,000 and I am having an incredibly hard time figuring out which quote is the best combo of price and quality.

I don't know if Tamko or CertainTeed are good quality. (everyone has a different opinion)

One roofer told me that GAF and Owens Corning are junk because you can buy them at Lowes and Home Depot and you don't want that kind of quality for a professional job. Not sure I agree with that Logic but interested in what you guys think.

Tamko or CertainTeed Brand Shingles

$7500- Quote using either Tamko or CertainTeed Shingles with 30 year warranty. The contract says 15 pound felt but full synthetic "RHINO" underlayment.

$9800-$18000 for Owens Corning lifetime shingles with their premium 50 year non pro rated Warranted. All of these Contractors are the Platinum Owens Corning Contractors

$11000-$13000 for GAF Master Elite Lifetime Golden Pledge Shingles. These two contractors are the Master Elite.

I also had a guy try to sell me IKO Shingles for around $9800.

These guys all say they will use the Lifetime Pipe Collar vents.

I know this is basic info but is the extra money worth the 50 year non pro rated warranty?

All the contractors offer 5-15 year warranties on leaks and so on.

Are Tamko or CertainTeed Shingles any good?

Is Rhino a good brand of underlayment?

Any questions you would ask the contractors to help make a better choice?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-15, 02:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 29 Posts
One of the roofing pros should be along with some insight, but I'll give you some info from our roof, done 3 years ago. We have a single story 2500 sq ft house (not sure of the actual roofing surface figure) and the complete job cost ~$9500. This included the tear off plus additional nailing of the plywood and I think up to 2 sheets of plywood repair/replacement PLUS installation of secondary water barrier membrane (upgrade from plain felt underlayment). Ours was done start to finish in just over 12 hours, same day. Really good company. They used GAF Timberline shingles with 40 year warranty (past my lifetime ). We're very happy with the job and shingles.

Old 11-11-15, 02:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 29 Posts
FWIW, GAF is made in the USA; ours came from the Tampa plant about 90 miles up the road.