Sill Plate Drip edge flashing

Old 11-13-15, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sill Plate Drip edge flashing

I'm building a barn, and need some sort of flashing like the following picture depicts:

While I'm not required to have termite protection, with how the foundation is made a continuous run of flashing like the "Metal termite shield" shown would be ideal to install.

Some questions:

1) If I sandwich it between two sill gaskets, does it matter whether I use aluminum, copper, or galvanized? I'd prefer something that won't rust - so this leaves copper or aluminum. Copper is... expensive and overkill. But, if it will outlast aluminum (treated sill plate, poured concrete foundation wall) I'd go with it.

2) Can I bend this myself? I basically need a straight piece of flashing with a 45 degree bend on one end. I've looked at techniques online, but I want a clean appearance. I don't know where to get this locally (Home Depot? Lowes? Gutter company?).

3) How much do I overlap the ends and do I use a silicone product to seal the flashing to itself?

Total linear feet - 110.

Thanks!

John

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-15, 10:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, PT wood will corrode aluminum although a strip of tar paper or sill gasket should protect it from the PT.

Old 11-13-15, 10:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 201 Posts
While the flashing is nice as drawn, the sheathing and siding usually hang over the foundation 1", making the flashing unnecessary.

Old 11-13-15, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Regarding the flashing, that up-bend in the flashing "supposedly" makes it difficult for termites to climb over it.