Metal roof leaking

Old 11-18-15, 09:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Metal roof leaking

I have a metal roof that is leaking all along the seam. The back part as you see in the picture is an addition (all of this done before we purchased the house). They added the addition and then re-roofed with metal. It had leaked around the chimney when we looked at it. They had to have the roof and ceiling "fixed" as part of the purchase agreement. Well It didn't last long around the chimney...but in the last several months it is leaking all along the seam...the whole length. Lots of sheetrock is already going to have to be changed out. It didn't matter so much when we were in a drought, but this last spring/summer was very wet for us.

I used to sub contract roofing waaay back in the day, but I never worked with metal roofing...only composition. What is your best recommendation for fixing the seam? And where should I start around the chimney? I would really like to get it fixed before we get snow. Thanks for any help!!

Sorry I couldn't get the images to rotate (got them to rotate correctly below).

Last edited by who922; 11-18-15 at 09:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-15, 09:23 AM
If it is leaking along the seam it is a problem with the way it was installed. I dont believe there is a proper fix without replacing it. It is hard to tell from the pic but it looks like one side is almost flat, that is a problem as well.

Old 11-18-15, 09:32 AM
I don't mind replacing the seam if someone can get me some direction on doing that and what seaming is best. I'm just not familiar with it.

And you are correct, the pitch is not a lot....1/12, 2/12 maybe. A ball will roll off it if it goes on the roof though.

Old 11-18-15, 09:36 AM
I got the pictures corrected.

Attached Images   
Old 11-18-15, 09:50 AM
What I mean is there is an issue with the way the metal roofing itself was installed. I have never seen a metal roof with a seam coating like that over it. It looks like an attempt at a patch rather than a solution. To fix it, I believe the metal roofing will need to come off. When properly installed, you should not see anything but metal from the top side of the roof.

Old 11-18-15, 12:18 PM
Thanks. While that may be true...and the way it should have been done...that would mean framing, decking, etc, to make the rook a single slope. There's no way I have that kind of cash or I would just call someone for the repair in the first place. So, without redoing the roof, How do I redo that seal? And tackle the chimney?

Old 11-18-15, 12:30 PM
I don't mean reframing the roof, I mean when the metal was applied, it was not applied correctly at that joint, and there is no way to propely fix the issue without removing the metal and either putting it back properly or putting new in place of it.

If you insist on just putting something over it to try and stop the leak, Through the Roof! by Sashco - Roofing Sealant & Caulk is the product I would recommend, but it will not last forever, and depending on why it is leaking to begin with, it may not work at all.

Old 11-18-15, 01:16 PM
That stuff looks great!! Thanks! Much more doable financially. What is the best way to remove all that old tar around the chimney so I can just start over?

And does it matter if I get low VOC or not?

Old 11-18-15, 09:37 PM
It doesn't run cheap but it works good. It is about $70 a gallon in canada. As for removing the tar, just chip away anything that is already lose or pealing then you can go over it with this stuff. Low voc makes no difference unless you are alergic to the offgases or using it inside.

Old 02-22-17, 01:32 PM
I know it's been a while, but thanks for the tip! I found it on Amazon for a good price and bought it. Every place I have used it (along the seams), the leaks have stopped. Great stuff and easy to use!!

Now the biggest leak is around the chimney. As you can see in the pic, they have just globbed stuff on there before we bought it. What is the best way to get that off? I jabbed at it with a putty knife, but I wasn't making much headway. I just need to make sure it's not leaking before I replace all of the drywall.

BG

Old 02-22-17, 02:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 158 Votes on 140 Posts
As long as you aren't overly concerned about how it looks I wouldn't worry too much about what doesn't want to come off - just seal around it [over it if need be]