Cost difrence between metal roof OR Asphalt tabs

Old 12-03-15, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cost difrence between metal roof OR Asphalt tabs

Roof failed 29 years old. Hail storm last year nailed it. roof has lots of curling , lots of tiny bits blowing off with 3/4 inch of gravel in rain gutters. I don't have true measurements so lets say the length is 44' and to the top might be 30' very steep roof jacks are a must. this roof has one 10" fire stove pipe coming out. by the by this is only half of the roof that is bad the North side that I plan to do for now, the South side looks untouched for the most part. SO I AM LOOKING FOR OPINIONS ON WHICH METHOD TO USE ASPHALT (which will require a rip-off) OR IS METAL A BETTER OPTION COST WISE?
Thanks Guys
ps
I am on a fixed income due to a stroke and have not found a way to supplement income yet

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-15, 07:35 PM
Received 118 Votes on 108 Posts
As far as I know a metal roof will be very expensive. But they are good. But let's look at your situation. I'm assuming you're over 50 and currently in poor or temporarily poor health. A new roof in asphalt will last about 20 to 25 years. That puts you at about 70 to 75 years of age. Do you really expect to put on another roof at that point? And do you think you'll really care? I don't mean to be negative but my reasoning is not negative but positive. Do what you can afford and enjoy what you have.

Old 12-03-15, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Norm 201
You hit it all right on. But I had hopes of leaving the house to my Son whom was kicked in the head by a shop lifter 3 years ago. he has taken care of me in ways no child should have had when this all started. Being as I had the roof installed in 1992 I gather prices have changed. Asphalt is also expensive but HOW much more expensive is metal? Thanks.

Old 12-03-15, 08:09 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I suspect that the roof that was installed 29 years ago was warranted for 20 years. In my experience most roofs will last at least a few years, sometimes many years, past their warranty.

When I had my house re-roofed in 2005 I asked about going metal. The salesman strongly urged me to forget the idea even though his company did all types of roofing, including metal roofs. He stated that a metal roof had a greater likelihood of failing than an asphalt roof IF it was not properly maintained. The exception to this rule is a copper roof which can easily last 100 years if the initial installation is done well. Of course the downside to a copper roof is the extreme cost.

I was 55 years old when I had the roof replaced with a 30 year architectural asphalt shingle. I will be 85 when the warranty runs out, IF I live that long. Truth is, I suspect that I will die before my roof.

...but HOW much more expensive is metal? Thanks.
I'm guessing but I suspect that it will be at the very least 50% more than asphalt shingles and could be as high as 150% more. ANYTHING of metal these days is expensive.

Old 12-03-15, 08:11 PM
Received 118 Votes on 108 Posts
It will all depend on your location and the type of metal roof you get. There are agriculture and manufacturing and residential styles. Also such things as ice dam breakers that may or may not be an option. I don't think anybody can actually give a price difference in this forum. But did you look on line yet? Metal roofing is still a comparatively new thing in terms of home roofs. (BTW... metal shingles are a new and promising item for roofs.) You'll need to find an installer that has had experience and can prove it. Also a decent warranty should be compared by several different manufactures.

If you plan on leaving the home to your children then may 1st post would be amended. What I would consider is the overall condition of the home. Has it been updated over the years? It it in a decent neighborhood? Have property values gone up or down? And most important does your son want to stay there for an extended period of time? If most of these answers are positive then it may may well be worth going to a metal roof. Even if it meant taking a loan or home equity loan on the house.