Keeping leaves out of the gutters--options?

Old 12-08-15, 11:57 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Keeping leaves out of the gutters--options?

Hi all

So, my wife is really pushing me to not go up on the roof to clean the gutters. I really dont want to pay a service 2-3 times a year for such an easy job (low pitch roof... leaf blower takes care of it in no time.

So, I am thinking that I would consider some kind of gutter guard/gutter helmet solution

Background:
I only have one (oak?) tree in front of my house... nothing behind. Neighbor on left has a single tree in front, but otherwise there are no trees near me for three houses in any direction. House is an expanded cape with a double dormer on the front second floor and a single center dormer on the back. House also has an addition on the first floor--very low pitch roof (I end up having to sweep/shovel it off after a heavy snow)

While I havent seen any leaks, I do know that the house gets ice dams in the front on the un-dormered side.

So, my question is: if I invest in gutter helmet or any other brand of gutter cover, will I exacerbate the ice dam issue? Do they contribute to ice dams? Most folks I know that have these covers swear by them-- I just dont want any leaks

Any recommendation on type/brand to consider?

Old 12-08-15, 02:28 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I have a hose attachment which works for a one story house (though you wear a raincoat with the hood up when you use it), though it sounds like that would not benefit you.

My old man has had two different products on his house and both kept the leaves out while neither seemed to contribute to ice dams. I believe the first one was gutter helmet and he switched the next time he had the roof replaced simply because one of the guards had been ruined by someone stepping on it.

Old 12-08-15, 02:52 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Ice dams are not caused by gutters.
Lack of insulation, no air sealing, not enough venting is the cause.
Loose the trees or add the gutter helmet.

Old 12-09-15, 08:35 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks for the reply!

Dont want to lose the tree (town property at any rate). Glad to know that gutter helmet doesnt add to an ice dam tendency on a house

I have no attic, so venting, etc, isnt something I think I can do. I added blown in insulation last year--havent had a good snowfall since, so I dont know if that helped

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: