Advice on a basic gutter install.

Old 12-17-15, 08:42 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Advice on a basic gutter install.

Water running off the roof is pooling at the base and flooding the carport during heavy rains... going to add gutters to the front, and I am going to direct the water flow into an underground PVC pipe (probably 4 inch?) that flows into a drainage ditch.

Here is a picture of the house. Section A is 35 feet, and section B is 12 feet. I wanted to put only 1 downspout on it, at the location in the picture. I'm going to dig a trench and bury a pvc pipe that runs out to a drainage ditch.

http://i.imgur.com/hHEosqp.jpg

One question i have is, is it feasible to have one downspout in the middle of a run and slope both ends down towards it? If not, then i suppose i could eliminate section B, as it just drains onto a mulch bed... but i'd really like to get both sections guttered if i can, and i dont really want to use more than one downspout if i can get away with it.

My plan is to use 10 ft sections of aluminum gutters... caulked and riveted together... screw the gutters directly to the fascia to position them, and then screw the hangers into the fascia every 2 feet.

The fascia board is covered with aluminum coil stock (or flashing i guess), and it wraps up over the top of the fascia and slides up under the shingles about 1-2 inches. Here are pictures:

http://i.imgur.com/4CsVb03.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5Ga8uVB.jpg

I'm assuming i will still need to install a drip edge (or apron or flashing or whatever it's called) under the shingles that extends into the gutter, correct? Can i just use this stuff and tack it down over the existing fascia flashing, under the shingles?

Shop Amerimax 1.5-in x 10-ft Galvanized Steel Drip Edge at Lowes.com

Really appreciate any input.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-15, 10:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 298 Votes on 271 Posts
My input would be to call around and ask seamless gutter guys what they would charge you to just run you some seamless gutter, drop it and go. I'm guessing around 3.50 ft would be a good price. That's so cheap there is no way I'd mess with 10' sections.

I'm not a huge fan of one downspout on that much gutter, esp. In florida. But you can always add more I guess. I guess I'd suggest one on each end and rent a trencher to dig 2 drains to the ditch. Be sure you use 3x4 downspout and 3x4 outlets.

Yes, that's the right drip edge.

Old 12-23-15, 01:19 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
thanks xsleeper

Ok, i will use 3x4 downspouts.

Called a seamless guy and he wanted 2.50/ft just to deliver the gutter and not install... i imagine installed would be around 3-4/foot. Not a bad price, i suppose, but im going to do it myself and save a few bucks. 50 ft is $125 for seamless non-installed, or $35 for 5 10 ft sections at the store. I'll have to hang it either way, so i'm going to save the $100 and assemble it myself.