Mobile Home Leaky Roof

Old 01-23-16, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mobile Home Leaky Roof

I have a metal roof that has been covered by torch down on a 1970's double wide that is leaking like Swiss cheese! It has also been walked on so there are many areas that are caved in where water can pool! After removing my ceilings to figure out where all the water was entering into the house from I discovered that my rafters and ceiling joists are one in the same. They alternated 1" x 10"'s and 2" x 10"'s spaced 24" oc. Each board it tapered from its 10" width at the ridge to a 3" width that terminates at the eave! There is no underlayment, vapor barrier or insulation in the ceiling! Just metal roofing nailed right to the rafters!
So here is my dilemma! I have to take this roof totally off because 75% of my rafters are rotten, twisted or cracked. The pitch was barely 2:12 so I would like to change it to a 4:12 with 3 tab shingles laid over osb. I can use 2"x6"'s for my new rafters because the span is small enough, my concern is weight! The exterior walls are framed with 2" x 3"! I am not opposed to beefing up the exterior walls by framing a 2 x 4 wall on the interior side of the existing 2 x 3 walls and then tying the two wall sections together with a 2 x 6 top plate. I am just curious if you all think I am missing a better option? The current pitch is far too flat to put another metal roof on because I live on the coast and we get a ton of sideways rain!
Almost all the mobile homes in my area have metal roofs, I just worry about the driving rain pushing water up under the ends of the metal panels at the eaves!
There was so much water damage to the inside of this home I had to gut the entire house, so I am down to studs! So any reframing, wall shoring, etc is a easy option right now!
Help this DIY, semi knowledgeable girl make the best choice for her new roof!
Btw, I have had three different roofing contractors come over to give me bids etc and none of them agreed on any option! Any insight, suggestions, whatever would be a huge help!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-16, 03:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
Welcome to the forums Ashley!

What are the exact measurements of the studs? a 2x4 is actually 1.5"x3.5"

The biggest issue is supporting the new roof structure. Normally the exterior walls are cantilevered out from the MH frame. Most double wides have a 2x6 [1.5"x5.5"] center wall [actually two 2x3s sandwiched together]

Old 01-24-16, 05:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 299 Votes on 273 Posts
Around here it's common to build a roof over older mobile homes like a pole barn. Posts right next to the exterior of the trailer support the new roof which is built just above the old. Then the perimeter is trimmed to close the gap between the two.