Shingles flying off of my roof

Old 04-11-01, 09:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

My house is a little over a year old. Last year about this time, some of my shingles started peeling off in the wind. I found some shingles in the yard. They all still had the plastic peel strips on them, covering the tar strips. Today, we had one heck of a wind storm. I lost a good portion of my shingles. My neighbors (around 50 houses) had no lost shingles. I think that my roof is coming apart due to improper installation, and the lack of adhesion of the shingles caused by not removing the peel strips.
My question is: Is it required to remove the peel strips, and can that be the cause of my roof problem?

Old 04-12-01, 04:12 AM
Visiting Guest
no it is not necassary to tear off the plastic.after a year there shouldnt be alot of it left.does the side or sides the blew off get sunlight or are they in the shade?even in total shade they should seal some we usually put a dab of roof tar under each tab for areas that are totally shaded.what does you roofer say?i have done a few reroofs where the manufacter payed for a new roof due to the shingles not sealing but they are few and far betwween.i would get with my roofer ,see what he says find out what brand of shingles were used and maybe contact them have the factory rep come out and look at it.maybe not enough nails? tough to say long distance good luck

Old 04-12-01, 08:07 AM
Visiting Guest
If you peel the plastic strips off then you void the warranty of the shingles. It sounds as though the shingles did not stick down and/or not enough nails were used to install then.

Can't tell from where I am sitting.

Old 04-12-01, 10:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies. From what I can see, the shingles were not installed with nails. Instead, they used 3 staples per each shingle. It appears that the shingles did not seal to each other at all despite being in full sun. Last summer was hot enough to to fry eggs on the driveway. All of the shingles came off in full shingles or parts of shingles. None came off stuck together. I don't know who the roofer is but I'm talking to my builder.
Thanks for your help.

Old 04-13-01, 06:49 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I will just throw in my 2 cents worth. I never staple shingles. Always shingle nails, long ones, and always four per shingle. I noticed recently, that several brands of shingles have a void warranty if staples are used. Talk to your builder first and your attorney second. I tend to agree that this is an installation problem.

Old 04-15-01, 05:15 AM
Visiting Guest
jack-used to always use four nails code here carteret county nc is six. kinda think the more holes the weaker it gets but ya know how the book readers are.also i havent stapled shingles in a million years

Old 04-15-01, 09:53 PM
Visiting Guest
My builder has ducked out of this completely and handed me off to the company that supplied the shingles to the sub-contractor that roofed the house. I met with the company rep. on Friday afternoon and we looked at some of the shingles that blew off. All were stapled, and from what I can read on Pinnacle shingles that is ok if the staples meet certain dimensional requirements. Some had the staples in the wrong area of the shingles. Others were in the thick part of the shingle but were 3" in from the end instead of the recommended 1" in. Some had 3 staples, others had 4. The rep kept telling me that these shingles have a 30 year warranty against "manufacturer's defects", but could not tell me if they were defective or not. He did say that they no longer sell that type of shingle, because they kept having problems with them. Hmmmm. We also found that there were two different models of shingles, from the same manufacturer. The two don't match up so well, structurally, not color or pattern. He's offered to get me enough shingles for me to fix my own roof. I still think its an installation problem. The rep seems to want out of it as much as the builder does. I haven't talked to the installer yet. I think my best bet is to fix my roof and go on. I don't think the rep or the builder is being honest with me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: