Rooftop hvac leaking rain inside house

Old 03-07-16, 06:27 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rooftop hvac leaking rain inside house

I have an all-in-one unit on top of my roof. I bought this house last summer. The roof is fairly new and so is the hvac. Rain is somehow traveling down from underneath the hvac unit onto the ceiling. It seems like a small leak, the drywall is damp but not holding water. I removed about a 4' x 4' of drywall in the bedroom ceiling below the unit because it was damp. I can now stand on a ladder and look under the roof/unit. Prior to last rain I went up on the roof and examined the curb. I could not see any issues or areas water might get it, but re-sealed the edges along the curb and the roof with Henry's. It's hard to tell, but it looks like the rain is coming down from the area of the return duct under the unit under the roof. Could it be an issue around the curb? Can rain from the A/C fan leak into a house? How is that area sealed? It's raining today and I'm going up to look again. Any suggestions on where to look? Thanks in advance!

Old 03-07-16, 06:51 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Any suggestions on where to look?
Unfortunately, the answer is everywhere. Water doesn't always travel straight down. It can move horizontally first. What I would do is test it with a hose on a dry day. Have someone watch the ceiling as you spray. Since it's raining today, throw a tarp over the unit. See if it still leaks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: