Ice and water shield

Old 03-04-16, 11:11 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ice and water shield

I had my roof replaced just over 2 years ago and have a few issues. It looks like a small heated room in the front of the house did not get ice and water shield. It was in the contract that it would be in put around the eaves, valleys, chimneys, and plumbing vents. I can lift up the edge of the shingles and see the synthetic underlayment (which is white), but no ice & water shield. I checked in a few spots.

The roofer was over yesterday to look at a few things and when asked about this he said that the ice and water shield was there, but you can't see it without ripping up the shingles. From on top of the roof, he stuck his hand under the edge of the shingles and said he could feel it was there, but he never looked at it.

There is also a plumbing vent that doesn't have any ice and water shield around it, which you can see in the attic and on the roof by looking under the boot flashing. His response was that the ice and water shield doesn't go up to the pipe...

My main concern is the lack of ice and water shield along the eave in the room. The rest of the house appears to have it, which I will double check. What is the best way to address this with him? It seems that he is most likely lying about it being there knowing we're not going to "rip up the shingles" to prove it. The gutters were only recently replaced after having been off of this room since the roof was done, so there hasn't been an opportunity for ice dams until now.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-16, 11:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 584 Votes on 550 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I would check and make sure it's on the other parts of the roof so that you know what to look for. Depending how far up the roof the vent pipe is..... it may not have the shield around it.