Low slope roof - do I need to have access to the attic?

Old 03-12-16, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low slope roof - do I need to have access to the attic?

Hello DIY community

I have a low slope roof, and the height of the roof in the highest point is 2 feet (Please see the outside photo attached).

My house does not have an entrance in the attic. I know owner of a house of the same model and he says he also does not have it.

Several people including house inspector and roofing company advised me to create the entrance.

I wonder if anybody else has experience with this kind of roof? Does it make any sense to cut the entrance in the ceiling if all that you have there is only 2 feet and even crawling would be challenging?

Name:  IMG_20160207_171906820.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  20.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-16, 04:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
I'm not sure I'd bother cutting access to the attic unless or until access was needed.

Old 03-13-16, 05:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Fire codes may require an access for fire suppression from below. I'd check to see and comply if needed. If not, then don't bother.

Old 03-13-16, 07:04 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If Bats ever find their way in there, you'll want access !

Old 03-13-16, 08:15 AM
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
How much insulation is up there and has any air sealing been done? The answer is probably, you don't know.

How about the ventilation? I see the low slope and assume the high slope is on the other side. Will that low slope soffit be an intake or exhaust vent? Is there a ridge vent at the top? I see a box where we might expect a gable vent but not sure what it is.

Leaks and mold issues caught early can often be corrected before they costs go way up.

Has the house ever had ice dam issues? Canada does have some moderate zones so you may not be cursed with ice problems.

Future home buyers may also wonder what you are hiding without an access.

My vote is obviously, install a well insulated and air sealed access so you can monitor that space and make improvements if needed, like more insulation.

Bud
BTW, you may not want to go up there but there are companies who employ very tiny people and work in areas like that all the time.

Old 03-13-16, 08:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Good points Bud. I was called in to cut a scuttle in a house that was for sale. Normal roofline, just no access. Interestingly there was R19 faced insulation in the attic. Normal for that age of house. But how did it get there??? Put in before roof sheathed??? Mystery.