Install new downspout around obstacle

Old 03-19-16, 04:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Install new downspout around obstacle

I'm trying to add a downspout to the gutter in the back of my house. In the picture below, you will see that I have pvc pipe coming out of the ground that runs to the storm sewer. I want to connect the back gutter to this pipe.

The problem is that the radon system pipe is in the way. Does anyone have any good suggestions for getting around the Radon system pipe? Cutting the radon pipe shorter isn't an option as it is within 10 feet of the window and is only 2 ft above the top of the window as is.

Name:  downspout.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  25.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-16, 05:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You may not have the option of adding a downspout to this end since your gutters are sloped toward the downspout on the opposite end.

Old 03-19-16, 05:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding the downspout is mainly because the gutter fills and runs over onto the patio any time there is a heavy rain. Adding a downspout on this side should alleviate some of that problem I would think.

Old 03-19-16, 06:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 230 Votes on 212 Posts
You could just run your new downspout outside/over the radon vent. I would cross over it up high so the part away from the house is less visible. Then once you're over the radon vent bring the downspout close against the house. You can support the horizontal (with good slope for drainage) run of downspout from your soffit so even through it will be 3 or 4" off the house you can support it every couple feet.

Old 03-19-16, 06:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Dane's solution is a good one. However, the back up is probably caused by either a stopped up (partial) downspout on the other end or an undersized downspout. Remember the gutter is probably 5" wide and smaller downspouts are only 4", so they are notorious for holding back deluges of water allowing for overflow at the gutter level. You could always partially remove the left half of the gutter and lower it slightly to perform a double drop allowing the water to your new downspout.

Old 03-19-16, 07:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
You could always partially remove the left half of the gutter and lower it slightly to perform a double drop allowing the water to your new downspout.
I would also recommend doing this. I had a gutter that would overflow similar to yours. I removed the gutter, adjusted the angle so it would pitch both directions, and added another down spout. Problem solved!

Another option is to change the offset of the radon fan and flip flop the down spout and fan vent. Basically the downspout would be where the fan vent is and then run a new vent for the fan. Only thing I cant tell is how much room you have around the fan vent offset.

Name:  downspout.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  28.3 KB