Copper Step Flashing; proper installation?

Old 03-22-16, 11:27 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Copper Step Flashing; proper installation?

Hello,

I need to patch shingles in a couple of spots where a roof-line meets a side wall. Both of these areas get a lot of moss growth due to Northern exposure and little sun. To combat that, I'd like to use copper step flashing. I'm also going to install a PVC band or trim on the side wall to put some distance between the roof-line and the Hardie planks I'm installing.

I have a few questions about installing copper flashing.
  1. Is copper a good choice for step flashing in areas where moss likes to grow?
  2. For copper material, Home Depot sells a roll of flashing (Sandell Flash Guard 8 in. x 20 ft. Copper Step Flashing-FG030820 - The Home Depot) that I could cut and bend. Is that a reasonable choice?
  3. Installation instructions I have seen say to nail into the roof deck only--not the sidewall. But, when installing the trim or siding material, how do you avoid nailing through the step flashing?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 03-22-16, 02:49 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
I think you have the nailing backwards.
Should be nailed to the wall not, through the shingles.
There's going to be so little of the flashing showing I do not feel it would be worth the added cost in materials.
Using Zinc or copper strips under the ridge cap would help treat the whole roof.
Make sure to use Z molding at the top of the PVC lumber and keep it at least 1" up off the shingles.
Use trim head ceramic coated screws to attach it.

Old 03-22-16, 07:18 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your ideas Joe.
It does seem that I've read in several articles that the flashing is supposed to be nailed to the deck. As an example, this article from BuilderOnLine (How to Install Step Flashing | Builder Magazine | Construction, Natural Metals, Small Projects) says "
Nail flashing to roof deck only. Nail through flashing into shingle, do not extend flashing above top of shingle and nail, or flashing will angle up. If nailed it to the wall, flashing will be impossible to replace when reroofing.
"
We had zinc strips installed at the ridge of our garage (around 8 years ago). Maybe the installers used a low grade of zinc strips, but it hasn't seemed to help much.

Old 03-22-16, 07:50 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Installing step flashing - Fine Homebuilding Article
I've only done a couple of hundred roofs and never had a call back for a leak so I'm still learning but I've never nailed the step flashing to the shingles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: