Fixing a leaky basement?

Old 04-02-16, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fixing a leaky basement?

Recently, a crack in my basement wall has been leaking water during heavy rain storms. I have found the problem to be a drainage issue at that side of the house.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  46.4 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  50.7 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  40.6 KB

On one side is my house and the other is the neighbours. In between the two foundations is around 2.5 feet. As you can see there are two down spouts releasing water in this small section. Furthermore, the grading seems to be off as all the water pools on my side (left) and this is where the leak occurs.

I have a sump pump, which has never gone off in my year living at this house.

Before we moved in, there was another crack in the basement that was filled with epoxy on the same side. So clearly there is a problem with drainage on that side of the house.

I will fill the crack which is leaking water at the moment, however I would like to completely fix this water issue on this side of the house.

I considered re-routing both down spouts to the front (about 20-30 feet down) but it still doesn't solve the fact that any excess water in my neighbours backyard will pool on my side.

Is there a weeping tile I can install about 1 foot deep that will collect any water and have it sloping down below grade till its far away from my foundation?

I also considered excavating this side myself using a mini excavator but the space is too tight to fit one in. I'd rather not dig up 600 cubic feet of clay dirt using a shovel.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  44.7 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  50.2 KB

Anyway I can fix this issue?

Thank you for the help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-16, 04:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
A tile system would be advantageous, but you are talking a lot of digging. First and foremost those downspouts need to have the water directed away from this collection pit, whether it be via corrugated pipe or solid pvc. The water can't stay here, and those splash blocks don't direct the water well enough.

Old 04-02-16, 04:46 PM
A tile system would be advantageous, but you are talking a lot of digging
. Does it have to be deep? Can it be shallow to collect any water before it gets all the way down to the foundation?

First and foremost those downspouts need to have the water directed away from this collection pit
I only have place to run it and thats the 30 foot direction. The other side is the neighbours backyard, I can't really run it towards there, however I could run it along the garage foundation? Since there is nothing under the garage.

Old 04-02-16, 06:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
He will need to do his downspout as well or you will be spitting in the wind. All the water that is falling in that alley needs to be moved away from the foundation. Do you have an outlet spot picked out for either the downspouts or the potential tile system, yet? Of course it would need good drainage away from the units to be viable. No it wouldn't have to be deep, but consistently angled toward an outlet area. Neighbor may need to get involved.

Old 04-02-16, 07:00 PM
Received 118 Votes on 108 Posts
Have you talked to your neighbor? Is he willing to help or let you do what is necessary to resolve the problem? If the surface is dirt (it looks like stone or pavement in the pics) can you add more dirt or gravel to incline it away from both houses and away? Perhaps a "V" type shape concrete "gutter" of sorts to run the length of the house.

Old 04-02-16, 07:11 PM
He will need to do his downspout as well or you will be spitting in the wind
I do plan on doing both.

Do you have an outlet spot picked out for either the downspouts or the potential tile system, yet?
In the first picture, that wall that protrudes out is my garage. Running the downspouts along that wall to the end would be one way (ideal since its around a 20ft run) as oppose to the opposite direction towards the street which is a 30ft run + 6 feet away from the house.

Old 04-02-16, 07:15 PM
Have you talked to your neighbor? Is he willing to help or let you do what is necessary to resolve the problem?
Haven't talked to him however, he's a nice enough guy for me to know he wouldn't have a problem with it. I'd do all the work myself, if he has water in his basement too (there is a huge crack on his side in the same location where the water is pooling) then we'll split the cost. If the water is in mine only, I guess I gotta pay the bill.

If the surface is dirt (it looks like stone or pavement in the pics)
Surface is gravel. That's what I was hoping for, however even when I create that V shape, the water is still close to each house, about 16 inches since the gap in between each house is only around 30-32 inches. Unless you meant installing a concrete gutter system with that width and gravel on top.

In that case, I'm up for it, just don't know where to start.

Old 04-11-16, 06:59 PM
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
A layer of gravel will collect water that will leisurely soak down against your foundation and into your basement.

You might try removing the gravel along a strip nearest your house and putting in dense soil, like clay soil. Don't use sand.

A drainage tile has to be all the way down below basement floor level to do any good.

Old 04-11-16, 07:06 PM
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
A layer of gravel will collect water that will leisurely soak down against your foundation and into your basement.

You might try removing the gravel along a strip nearest your house and putting in dense soil, like clay soil. Don't use sand.

A drainage tile has to be all the way down below basement floor level to do any good.