roof flashing/counter flashing - replace or not?

Old 05-09-16, 02:47 PM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
roof flashing/counter flashing - replace or not?

There is a water stain and peeling paint on the ceiling of my closet. Four different roofing contractors came to inspect it. They went into the attic and went on the roof to inspect it. All agreed that leak is not bad and since the closet is right next to the chimney, the leak is probably coming from the chimney area.
Two contractors recommend re-sealing around the counter flashing around the chimney-cost $200. Two contractors recommend replacing the flashing, counter-flashing, and shingles around the chimney-cost $1400.
House and roof is only 9 years old. Who is right?

Old 05-09-16, 03:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Depends... I have a job where the customer has the exact same problem. In their case, the gobs of silicone around the chimney, dating from when the roof was done, were a red flag. And in the attic, the insulation was wet all the way around the chimney. It wasn't hard for me to decide what to do... replace all the step flashing and counterflashing, because the last guy who did it botched the job.

Without knowing how wet it was in the attic, and if it was just one location... or multiple locations leaking... and without seeing what your flashing looks like, we really can't say which way you should go.

Old 05-09-16, 06:20 PM
X
Thanks for responding to my message. The leak is in only one area. In the attic, there are water marks running down on the rafter next to the chimney. From the rafter, the water dripped onto the ceiling of the closet. This area is very tight and unable to get to.
In the closet, there is also a water stain midway down on the drywall perpendicular to the ceiling. This is a load bearing wall that is supporting the ceiling on side of house. I think this is from water from the same leak that dripped from the ceiling down to the horizontal piece of 2x4 between two wall studs. Sorry, but I do not have any pictures.

Old 05-09-16, 06:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Sounds like it must be pretty minor. I would tend to believe that maybe the counterflashing needs to be repointed or caulked. They should also be checking the chimney cap while they are up there.

Old 05-09-16, 08:08 PM
X
Thank you for your advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: