Closet on deck water sealing.

Old 05-15-16, 08:10 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Closet on deck water sealing.

So we just bought a house and there is a closet off of the bottom floor bedroom that is supported by the deck. They basically put a sheet of plywood under it and allowed the flooring of the deck to support it.

The problem is the plywood is sagging and a little out of shape and I'm curious about the best way to finish it off appropriately so bugs and critters can't just climb into our walls.

Only thing I could think of was a sheet of pvp plywood and a lot of silicone around it to make it water tight.

Any ideas on what a professional would do to finish it off appropriately?

Thanks,
Hamb0ne10

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-16, 09:06 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
A couple of pics would help us visualize this; I'm having trouble picturing a bedroom closet on a deck....

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 05-15-16, 09:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
If I understand correctly they cut a hole in the wall and built the closet on the deck ??
Is the closet floor the same level as the deck or has it been raised to meet the house floor level? Can you inspect the closet floor from below?

btw- welcome to the forums!

Old 05-15-16, 12:32 PM
H
Not sure honestly. But I'll climb underneath the deck in a bit and take some pictures.

Old 05-15-16, 01:11 PM
H

Attached Images   
Old 05-15-16, 03:51 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Thank you for the very good pictures. Now one showing the closet floor. Is the closet floor the same height as the room floor?

I would guess water is running between the closet floor and the deck and soaking the bottom of the plywood. I don't see an easy permanent fix. How important is keeping the closet?

Old 05-15-16, 04:20 PM
H
ya the closet floor is the same level as the room floor. I'm not even sure if there is even a problem here but just by the looks of it underneath the deck it would not take much for ants or other small animals to crawl into the house. the closet is pretty important because otherwise my gf wouldnt have any where to put her clothes. the room is not large enough for another dresser.

Old 05-15-16, 05:29 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I really wouldn't worry about ants. No way to keep them out unless you put your house in a bell jar. I doubt small critters could get in. Your pictures show no holes in the deck.

I'd say cosmetic fix is about the best you can do. It just shouldn't have been built that way. The closet should have had a separate floor separated from the deck by metal flashing but short of tearing the whole closet out and going from scratch I don't see a way.

I'd say if the plywood gets too bad cut it out up to the inside wall with an oscillating saw and install new plywood. Put a couple of coats of paint on the edges and bottom be for installing.

Last edited by ray2047; 05-15-16 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-15-16, 05:49 PM
H
Ya it seemed a little odd to me once I noticed it lol. But thanks for the help. Guess I'll just keep an eye on it.

Old 05-15-16, 08:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Excellent pics

I wouldn't worry about ants. I'd be more worried what's holding up the deck where the red arrows are. I see daylight thru the left one. There should at the very least be joist hangers there. Where the blue line is should have been doubled with the extra weight it's carrying.

That deck looks to have been framed incorrectly with the closet installation in mind.

Name:  deck.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  30.1 KB

Old 05-16-16, 04:26 AM
H
Alright. Thanks for the heads up. I have some joist hanger work to do anyway. Might as well do those too

Old 05-28-16, 07:52 AM
H
So I apparently have nice running around in the floor between first and second stories. This closet is the best spot for their entry that I can imagine. This is why I wanted a solution other than plywood that would keep things out. I appreciate everyone's responses and will definitely add joist hangars when I climb under there but there has to be a way of appropriately sealing underneath that thing to keep mice from just climbing up in.

What about a piece of sheet metal over the plywood with silicone around all the edges? I wonder if that would work.

The only other places I can imagine them getting in from is the dormers on the roof (they call it a cape cod style house but really only because they don't have much of a name for an old house that has been added onto like 5 times lol).

Below the shingles on the dormers where those pieces of plastic are with all the vent holes in it so the rafters can breathe, that plastic with the holes isn't secured by anything and can be simple pushed up several inches with your hand. However it's in a very tight spot and I'm not sure how to go about securing it.

One thing is for sure. I will be learning from all of this and looking much more closely at the next house I purchase. I'm gonna be so good at this crap by the end of it I won't even need a home inspector lol.

Old 05-28-16, 08:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Mice can get in almost anywhere. I have found out that once they find a way in and it's sealed.... they still try to get in. I'm guessing they smell previous mice paths and follow them to the same exact point.