Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

What walkable weatherproof material can go over Garage meshy roof material

Old 06-09-16, 06:57 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I would like to install a walkable weatherproof material on top of the meshy material on top of my garage. Not the best photo to show but the material on top of my garage roof is like a meshy material but looks solid, inside garage you can see standard joists but I cannot step between joists or I would fall through to the roof. I would like to be able just to walk out there to put decorations for holidays out there, not like a lounge or deck area. There is only window access that i can climb out of so again just some kind of material that I could simply screw down, would plywood work? is that weatherproof? maybe a material that can be cut to a 4ft by 4ft so i can piece it together. The size of my garage roof is 20ft x 8.33ft with railing around that comes 5 inches from the edge around.Name:  Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 8.37.08 AM.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  27.0 KB

Old 06-09-16, 07:49 AM
Received 341 Votes on 307 Posts
Plywood would work, but it too will need to be roofed. Think about any structure with a roof. There are joist, usually on 16" centers (maybe 24" cc), that is covered with plywood, then in turn that is covered with roll roofing or tar paper. Perhaps a drip edge is installed or flashing, then shingle roofing is installed as a final weather barrier. And then you can walk on it. Sounds like your garage roof was originally meant only as a light duty covering for a car port as opposed to a full fledged garage.

Old 06-09-16, 02:53 PM
C
Hi Norm201, thanks for replying, so that sounds a little more out of my comfort zone when all I thought was I can put some kind of weatherproof plywood over it. So lets say with the full 10 yards of your description of what I need to walk on it, how much do you think that will run me, if I hired someone, if its a 20ft x 8.33ft with an already installed railing, I do not want to remove, if I do not have to. On the flip side of that, what would be the bad about just putting down plywood, linking them together and maybe putting tar paper over the plywood. I think you are right about the it just being a car port covering, but inside when i look up there are are joists every 16" which means it should be able to support thick plywood for me to walk on, right? what about something thicker than plywood?

Old 06-09-16, 04:02 PM
Received 341 Votes on 307 Posts
OK. Local codes is what it's all about. I don't think you would be allowed to just put plywood or mdf board over an existing roof. And don't think you would want to. You want plywood or whatever to make direct contact with the joist. Nothing in between that over time will rot, and soften. And could be fire hazard. Seems to me the easiest and best way is to strip the roof of existing material, install 3/4 plywood, cover and use standard roof shingles. It's not that bad a job. As to cost I have no idea. You'll need to cost out material from you local supply store. If you have it done call several roofers and get a quote.

Old 06-09-16, 06:44 PM
C
Ok appreciate all your time and guidance, since we are planning on eventually taking this whole garage down in the not to distance future, I will probably just leave it as is. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: