Should I have a gutter for my shed-style roof?

Old 06-11-16, 02:32 PM
T
Received 30 Votes on 28 Posts
Should I have a gutter for my shed-style roof?

I just had a 10X20 3-season room added to my home with a shed style roof. (I made the final payment yesterday.) It rained today and I noticed the contractor hadn't put up a gutter on the porch although the approved proposal specified one. The porch is raised 9' so the water will fall approx. 18' to the grass, below. However, the outer edge of the porch is 10' from the house so I don't believe I have a building code issue and the property slopes away from the house.

My question is should I have the gutter installed? The contractor did a beautiful job and I am otherwise very satisfied with the result. I like the way the porch looks without the gutter but would have him back to put it on if I should.

The porch is 10' wide so the run is 120". The rise is 21", pitch almost 10 degrees. There will be no rain from elsewhere on the house getting onto the deck, so the total area for water is 200' (20' X 10').

Thoughts, please.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-16, 02:51 PM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
Picture so we can see what your seeing would be a big help.
Gutters are not for looks, there to help prevent siding, window damage and foundation issues.

Old 06-11-16, 03:05 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Gotta agree with Joe. Gutters are to collect the run-off from the roof, which may be considerable, and direct it to downspouts. The downspouts then route the water to an area where it will cause no damage. That area is rarely the edge of the roof.

Old 06-11-16, 04:54 PM
T
Received 30 Votes on 28 Posts
Here's some photos. As you can see, the edge of the porch is 10' from the house but off the ground. The property slopes away from the house. But, impact on windows, etc. concerns me.

Attached Images    
Old 06-11-16, 07:05 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
I would want a gutter, downspout and underground duct to carry the water down the hill. If you don't have a gutter you will end up with a big mud hole right at the edge of the concrete slab.