Leaking roof-insurance declined to cover previous damage

Old 06-13-16, 08:57 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Leaking roof-insurance declined to cover previous damage

My new roof was installed about 4-5 years. Say two years later there was a leak near the chimney that stained the ceiling. The insurance company refused to cover it. I sealed it using expanding foam and repainted the stain. Seemed to work but this season (about 2 years later) it's been leaking and there's an extensive stain, looks pro'ly moldy too.

I would like best tips on how to go about this when I talk to insurance to make sure this time they are on the hook to cover a permanent repair.

Old 06-13-16, 09:01 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
What's the cause of the leak - missing/poorly installed flashing around the chimney?

Old 06-13-16, 10:37 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 786 Votes on 723 Posts
Generally home maintenance is not covered by most homeowners insurance policies. A leak in the roof is considered a maintenance item. If a thunderstorm blew a tree down and it landed on the house poking a hole in the roof then the tree removal and repairs would be covered by most insurance policies. But, keep in mind that your premiums may go up after filing a claim.

As for the leak I don't know of many situations where spray foam on a roof is a proper fix. Like stickshift mentioned it's likely a problem with the flashing around the chimney. The proper flashing needs to be installed or you're likely to continue having leak problems.

Old 06-13-16, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 144 Votes on 112 Posts
Interesting, because I had a leak from a roof once, that brought down a big chunk of the ceiling in a back bedroom, and that was covered. Maybe it depends on the insurance company?

Old 06-13-16, 12:39 PM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
We never had a leak issue with the old roof. So I suppose maybe the flashing around the chimney, or siding I don't between the shingles and the roofing wood, which then conducts water downwards at the next less resistant entry point. Because as you can see in the pic the stain is about 5" away from the edge, yet there is no hole or damage above it. The only pro'ly entry point I could locate was further up near the chimney which is where I put the sealing foam.

Any suggestions on how to fix a roof or is this a handy man job or...?

Old 06-13-16, 12:45 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Step one is you have to find out where the water is coming in. Either you can/do find it or you hire someone to do so.

Old 06-13-16, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I want to comment on the legal rather than the repair, the advice above sounds good.

In CA, I can be held responsible for faulty work for up to 10 years. Normally labor is covered for only 1 year, but not when something obviously wasn't done right from the very beginning.

The roof shouldn't be leaking after such a short time so you might want to take it up with whoever installed the roof.

Insurance usually doesn't pay for things that leak over time, only one-time catastrophic leaks such as a burst washing machine hose with severe flooding.

Old 06-13-16, 10:25 PM
J
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
Trying to fix a roof leak with foam is never, ever going to work.
Fixing it on the inside is an even worst idea.
Got any pictures of this flashing from up on the roof?
On the ground is not going to tell us anything.
Have to agree, trying to get an insurance company to pay for a roof leak from anything but a tree falling on it, or a burst pipe in the attic is a waste of time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: