Repairing a loose gutter

Old 06-19-16, 03:34 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing a loose gutter

how bad is it? I did not know until I saw it this morning. It must have been there for months. Does rain goes through between walls below?

What am I supposed to do? Do myself with long ladder or call Home Depot for estimates

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-16, 03:49 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
An eight-foot stepladder may be tall enough, certainly a ten foot model would be adequate. You may need to use some plywood squares to block the ladder feet to prevent them from sinking into the earth.

I personally would never call a big box mega-mart homecenter to do maintenance around my home. This should be an easy job for a handyman if you don't want to do it yourself. If you are a member, look on Angie's List. There are other referral services also available, some might be just to the right of this comment.

Old 06-19-16, 04:10 PM
J
Received 70 Votes on 65 Posts
Now way to tell from that picture how to fix it.
If there the old style gutter spikes and not hidden gutter hangers then the old nails have pulled out. They never where a good idea in the first place.
I agree to a point, no way would I be using a box store, but even more no way would I be using anyone on Angie's List.
There's been at least 100 of more post about people using Angie's List on this and any DIY site that ended up being a disaster.
If there just gutter spikes just lift the gutter back in place, tap the old nails in and add hidden gutter hangers.
Construction Metals Galvanized 18-Gauge Gutter Hidden Hanger for 5 in. K-Style Gutter with Screw-HHOG5G-18 - The Home Depot

Old 06-19-16, 04:28 PM
F
Joe, I'll agree that there are some shysters on Angie's List but there are also some very good people. It is a place to start.

Old 06-19-16, 04:33 PM
A
I happen to have 10 foot ladder with bottom pads. I will put plywood squares underneath. I just leaned it on gutter finding its unstable cuz the gutter is loose. It looks like I have to place ladder far left where the gutter is fastened. Maybe I need to buy 8 or 10 foot ladder with two "legs". Pardon me I am not quite familiar with ladder jargon. I need a way to get on the roof safely and take close look at it.

Old 06-19-16, 04:44 PM
A
I will see what I can do. I might look at some YouTube videos on gutter repairs. I don't have the slightest idea of how it had been installed with nails, etc.

For now, I might put a plastic canvass over the gutter temporarily for possible heave rains. Maybe glue them? Until I am ready.
I am surprised no one mentioning about possible water seeping into the walls from what the gutter looks like. It appears it cannot happen except sloshing over the bent gutter from rain.

Old 06-19-16, 04:50 PM
A
I think I need a 8 foot step ladder. I think this is the kind of ladder that can stand alone ...not the ladder I have that has to lean on.

Old 06-19-16, 04:56 PM
J
Received 70 Votes on 65 Posts
Should be a 1/2 hour DIY repair, less then $20.00 fix unless the fashias all rotted out.
Still a simple DIY repair just more time and a few more dollars.
For the cost of a step ladder that any home owner should have anyway, the hidden gutter hangers, and a new impact driver that once again any home owner should have my guess it still would be the same or lower price then hiring someone to fix this simple issue.

Old 06-19-16, 04:56 PM
F
This is a stepladder. Don't lean a ladder against the gutter.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67515[/ATTACH]
(Image courtesy of luckyselectrical.com)

Long nails are sometimes driven through the gutter, with a tube inside the gutter to prevent collapsing, into the rafter tails to hold the gutter in place. Often these nails will pull out and leave the gutter hanging by the ends as yours are. Sometimes you can use long screws in place of the nails to reattach the gutters. Otherwise the gutter hangers that Joe mentioned are a good choice.

Attached Images  
Old 06-19-16, 05:04 PM
A
Good picture! Excellent what I thought so.

Old 06-19-16, 05:09 PM
A
I will take a look at it. I have a pickup truck that I may drive to where the gutter is. And put my old 6 foot stepladder on the top of the back of the truck. I think it's safe. Maybe I will take closeup pictures. And see what I can do to put the gutter back with old nails or new nails or new screws.

I am glad to hear it's really a small job...simple as well. Maybe I make box store envy.

Old 06-20-16, 08:10 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I got what is called a "podium ladder: while it is expensive, IMO it works great for single story gutter work.While it might cost too much $$ if you are just using it for this one situation, if you need it for regular gutter cleaning, It's great. The platform is 8 feet from the ground, and is easier (for me at least) to comfortably stand on/work from/move.
A link (mods, if the link is a no-no please remove.)

Werner 14 ft. Reach Fiberglass Podium Ladder with 300 lb. Load Capacity Type IA Duty Rating (Comparable to 10 ft. Stepladder)-PDIA08 - The Home Depot

Old 06-20-16, 09:02 AM
A
I just bought Werner 8 foot ladder. No podium. Your correct 10 foot ladder is better, but I will place wood planks several inches higher. I took 8 instead of 10 cuz the label says 250 lbs while the longer is 300 lbs. at first I thought it's load weight of the ladders, now realized too late that it's not! It's maximum weight of things (load) I can put on ladder. My misunderstanding!

Nevertheless, I took a good closeup at gutter on new ladder on just one inch wood plank. I have to stretch my body to take the look. Now I understand! I am very surprised to see that there is no facia board (wood) on the side of rafters. It's only aluminum sheet I think part of the gutter. Cheap work?

The gutter just came out loose with nails or screws fell apart but still inside the gutter. I think it's screw type encased in cover protective hollows.

I did not try pickup truck at all. Good thing.

I will start at it putting it back this afternoon or tomorrow. Hope I find no animals there between rafters. It's pretty scary scene.

Old 06-20-16, 02:47 PM
A
This late afternoon I took back 8 foot to Home Depot for 10 foot step ladder for 80 more dollars. It is now worth more for the buck; legs more sturdy and aluminum foldings to spread the legs now stable, yet heavier. I still put plywood blocks underneath for better balance. Now the challenge is tomorrow gutter repairs; put it back where it belonged. I still am not clear how these nails/screws were ripped off. Maybe a fat animal slept nights in the gutter resulting sagging. Weather has no paws to pull them out.

Also great for fall gutter cleaning.

I am pleased now also understand that there is no huge damage to the house.
Tell me, I forget. Show me, I remember. Involve me, I understand!

Old 06-20-16, 03:03 PM
F
You will never be sorry in getting the higher-rated ladder. I'm a big guy (read obese) and have no choice but even when I was younger and lighter in weight I simply would not use the lighter-rated ladders because they had a tendency to "fold up" by themselves.

Old 06-21-16, 03:58 PM
B
Received 75 Votes on 66 Posts
It appears the gutter has little or no slope (1 inch per 10 feet recommended) with the low point at the down spout. With no slope, any blockage at the down spout causes the gutter to fill with water putting a tremendous load on the gutter hangers and can cause the hangers to loosen. My guess is the problem area is low point in the gutter run.
If there is no fascia or too small a fascia to reinstall the gutter with the recommended slope, I suggest putting a downspout at the center of the problem area. If this is out of your comfort zone, hire a student from a local trade school.

Old 06-21-16, 04:38 PM
A
This I think called spike. It's one of many on right! Picture foggy,but yet clear.
It appears it's impossible to drill it back to the same hole. Holes are all worn out.
Looks like I have to make new holes with impact drill and put new 7 inch spikes at least 7. It looks like I need to get rid of old ones still in gutter.

Re: fascia. It's too narrow (small) made of aluminum. 2" wide and paper thin alum. The picture should indicate. Apparently It needs whole fascia replacement with wood or aluminum much wider. I am not going to do the job cuz it's over 40 feet long and need more than one man. I just drill new holes.

About center downspout is an excellent suggestion. No gutter slope. That's why it's sagging.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Alan Bloom; 06-21-16 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-23-16, 07:04 AM
A
I have not started yet...raining today..I now have "baby" dowels 1/4" Dia and 1/2" long that I will put in the same old worn out holes in rafters. I will use Elmer glue first.
And put old gutter spikes back into same holes. Spikes' threads still look good. The spikes' screws has hexagonal socket heads. Then I had to buy socket fastener (Ryobi) for my dewalt drill so it fits them and then drill them back.

One new question. Suppose (it won't happen) houses have five foot eaves ...roof edges, do we still need gutters and downspouts?

Old 06-23-16, 07:44 AM
W
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
Dowels

I now have "baby" dowels 1/4" Dia and 1/2" long that I will put in the same old worn out holes in rafters.
These dowels need to be as long as the screw depth into the rafter tail. 1/2 inch is not long enough.

Old 06-23-16, 09:04 AM
A
You are correct. I guess I start with 1 1/2 " long and see how far it can go. If too long, I can cut the remaining. If too short, then 2"
I had purchased 3 foot long dowel so I will cut up a few 1 1/2 for now.

Old 06-23-16, 01:41 PM
F
One new question. Suppose (it won't happen) houses have five foot eaves ...roof edges, do we still need gutters and downspouts?
Yes, although SOME houses omit them at the peril of the homeowner.

The gutters collect the run off water and the downspouts direct that water to a point where it won't cause damage.

In my area it perhaps is not quite as important to have gutters. Our rainy season is roughly from late September to about the end of May (Yes, it really does rain all the time in the Seattle area) BUT, it is usually a gentle rain, or what we call a drizzle. It can rain/drizzle continuously for 36 hours and not amount to even a tenth of an inch of water but you WILL get wet if you are outside. As a result there isn't as much water cascading off the edge of the roof that will cause erosion when it hits the ground. On the other hand, when we do get a heavy rain it definitely will cause erosion.

Collecting the rainwater from the roof with gutters allows you to direct this water, through the downspouts and other means to storm sewers or to areas where it will be absorbed back into the earth without eroding the surrounding area.

Old 06-23-16, 07:43 PM
A
Informational about the significance of gutters. I recall small leaks in basement.
It indicates that foundation and basement are vulnerable to thick walls ..maybe 5 foot thick.
What can I do?

Whole gutter cleaning and downspouts is now time.

Old 06-26-16, 06:56 AM
A
After ten days, I learned what was best. Your correct about putting spikes back into same holes ..unscrewed cuz holes are bad worn out..dowels just,make it more difficult..more work from the position of the ladder. Probably kneeling from the roof would be easier. Anyway I drilled new holes,with drill bit and then put in 2" #8 hex head screws. I prefer 2 1/2" but Home Depot don't provide them for #8 ... Anyway, these 2" snug in well for at least two more years. Then I will replace with #9 2 1/2"
..I need to buy 2 1/2" socket head size for drill. Jus hex screws..new spikes are not needed.

I noticed those existing old spikes are on every other rafter ...so the new holes were made on untouched rafters.

I may take picture of gutter now.

Then did some gutter cleaning..lots of black leaves debris...and there were lots of ground earth. I could not be fooled cuz I know very well from had lawn weeding in backyard that it's ground earth.
It's not clear how ground earth got into gutters at least 1/2 inch height and 10 feet long. I know some 30 foot tree branches barely hanging over gutter.

Last edited by Alan Bloom; 06-26-16 at 07:40 AM.