Roof over porch: water problem.

Old 06-29-16, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roof over porch: water problem.

so there is a rood over my back deck. it appears relatively new as is the rest of the house. however, it takes a lot of water and the water runs down the face of it and splashes back onto the deck. kinda defeats the purpose of having it roofed in. I dont know if the drip edge was installed too close to the face of the roof or what. anyone have any ideas on how to stop this?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-16, 11:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
Have you thought of having a gutter installed?

Old 06-29-16, 11:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
I'm also thinking gutters.

How much pitch does the roof have? I don't like how the rain water is coming back onto the soffit!
A pic showing the roof might be helpful.

Old 06-29-16, 12:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 230 Votes on 212 Posts
If you don't want gutters I'd at least install a drip edge. Drip edge has a nice sharp edge so the water drips off cleanly and cannot "stick" and follow the fascia down.

Old 06-29-16, 12:20 PM
Ive never really cared for gutters if there is an alternative. The roof has a drip edge already there I just wonder if it is pressed too tightly against the front eliminating the nice flat edge it should have.

Old 06-29-16, 12:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The drip edge looks like it's pretty much been flattened. You might try prying the bottom edge out and see how that does.

Old 06-29-16, 12:58 PM
pry it out? like pull the bottom of it out away from the house?

Old 06-29-16, 01:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can see on the bottom portion where there is a line at the point where the drip edge is angled outward. The angle is supposed to direct the water away from the fascia. I'd slip something under that portion to pry it outward. It should bend easily, the trick will be doing so where it still looks nice.

Old 06-29-16, 02:37 PM
alright ill give it a shot, thanks!

Old 06-29-16, 05:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 230 Votes on 212 Posts
I've made simple drip edges that I slip under the shingles and has a 1/2"-1" lip sticking straight down. Water curling around the lip of the shingles hits the drip edge, travels down the vertical leg and drips off. This is a bit different than drip edges located further back by trying to get the water to drip as far away from the fascia as possible. When the drip edge is up close to the fascia like yours it's not difficult for wind or high flow volume to get the water stream to reattach to the siding and follow up and around to horizontal surfaces.

Old 09-10-16, 09:27 AM
I bent the bottom lip of the drip edge out a bit and it definitely helped but did not completely solve the problem. Now I think I'm just going to replace the drip edge entirely.

I've seen a couple websites that suggest ripping down a piece of strapping and nailing it to the fascia Beijing new drip edge to help solve my problem of water following the fascia and getting the porch wet. The idea being that it gets the drip edge slightly further away from the house to the water doesn't have anything to "stick" to on its way down the drip edge.

Any thought on this or concerns?