Soft Spot Roof/No Water Damage

Old 07-08-16, 05:39 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Soft Spot Roof/No Water Damage

First, I have a drywall crack that opens and closes with the seasons so I know the wood moves. I saw an odd thing on my roof today that didn't blow off during the heavy storm overnight (turned out to be a firework). What I did notice though is a soft spot on my roof, inspected the underside through the attic. There is no water damage but on that particular area two pieces of plywood butt up and one is about a full plywoods thickness lower than the other. One is bent one way or perhaps they both sway in opposite directions.

No water damage, no water leaks, what do I do? Underneath the plywood is good and firm. Just not even with the other board.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-16, 06:08 PM
J
Received 75 Votes on 70 Posts
Got a picture?
What's the spacing of the rafters or trusses?
What's the thickness of the sheathing?
Any roof I install I use H clips between the rafters, it gives me the needed spacing and adds support between the rafters.
If the sheathing was installed without the required gaps is going to be nothing but issues.
My garage was done that way, when I removed the old shingles and paper I saw something I'd never seen before, every grade stamp had a stamp over it saying REJECT. There was no gaps, I had to make saw cuts along the seams and add blocking inside the attic.

Old 07-08-16, 07:20 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is the best photo I have from a few years ago when I bought the house. No H blocks but if I recall correctly each plywood board is spaced about the same as an H block would. I put a good 90lbs of weight on that spot. Any chance I tore a shingle? there are multiple "soft spots" on the roof where boards meet but this is by far the worst spot. Note that the shingles were installed about 6 years ago before I purchased the home.

Does it require immediate attention or can I just keep an eye on it?

Attached Images  
Old 07-09-16, 04:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
I've been on several new construction roofs over the years where there was a soft spot and it was always because the end of the plywood missed a truss IF the plywood isn't damaged adding support under that area might be enough to fix it. you'll have to force the plywood up/level first.