Flashing this chimney/siding Intersection

Old 08-11-16, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flashing this chimney/siding Intersection

Trying to figure out how to flash this chimney properly. Rain just runs down the roof onto the chimney and then gets behind the siding. In the photo I already moved the trim board that ran down the chimney. The only thing stopping water from getting behind it is caulk.

I am not sure how to flash it properly. I am thinking L Flashing. I can grind the chimney down a bit to make it flat I think for the L-Flashing. That way it will be L-Flashing with siding coming down onto the L-Flashing like at a roof line. The problem is what to bed the L-flashing in that will stop water from getting underneath it; Tar, Geocel, Thinset mortor or something else?

Or is that a bad plan. Suggestions Appreciated.

Name:  IMG_1923.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  44.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-16, 03:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 210 Posts
Yikes! If you could get a 4 1/2" grinder and a diamond wheel, score the stone 1 1/2" away from the siding. Get some 6" galv roll flashing or lead sheet and bend it so it is shaped like a z flashing or just buy some Z flashing. The kerf in the stone will accept a leg on the z flashing then you can caulk it. It should go behind the siding not on top of it. And geocel would work good to seal it.