Water coming in along wall - Gutters?

Old 08-15-16, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water coming in along wall - Gutters?

Hi all,

First post! I've got a three-story row-style house that has an extension on the first floor with a deck on top of it. At the back of the first floor, we have water coming inside between the floor and wall whenever we get heavy rain. We have both a problematic gutter AND a poor drainage situation, the latter causing water to pool around the back of the house when there's a lot of rain.

We're trying to confirm if the water is coming in from the standing water on the ground level OR if it's coming in from the top of the wall due to bad gutter installation!

I am leaning in favor of the latter because:

a) The Gutters are installed UNDER the fascia board, so water that splashes out of the gutter can go under/behind the fascia board. There's also virtually no overhang/soffit.

b) I have dug up around the base of the wall and not found anything that looks like a leak.

c) We've put some sheet metal trim around the back of the gutter and adjusted the downspout from the third floor roof to minimize splashing, and this seems to have helped with the amount of water coming in, though I am not yet sure we've resolved it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can confirm this is the leak source? Is this kind of installation (i.e. behind/under the fascia board instead of on it) common?

I can post some pics later today when I get home from work, if it's helpful.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and any ideas! We can't get someone to come out and pull the floors and walls out to fix them and kill off all the mold until we figure out the leak!

Thanks again,

grrollins

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-16, 11:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

pics would help - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html
Is the water entering the house on the main floor or is this an issue with the basement?

Old 08-15-16, 11:31 AM
Hi Mark!

It's coming in on the main floor. The foundation is a slab, so no basement. I will insert some pics!

Best,

grrollins

Old 08-15-16, 11:44 AM
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/39o2yakhh...semQnRIu6E2BPa

This is a video of the problem outside during heavy rain. You can see the water coming off the BACK of the gutters. The water comes inside at that same location (running out from under the baseboard and water logging the floor and drywall). I don't have any good stills of how the gutter is installed but will try to take some this afternoon.

The large amount of water seen is mostly due to the downspout from the third story roof dumping directly into the gutter on the 1st floor roof. I've adjusted the run so it dumps directly into the downspout, so the volume of overflow is lower now, but not 100% fixed.

Thanks again for any thoughts!

Best,

grrollins