What type of caulk for new windows

Old 08-16-16, 09:34 AM
F
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Question What type of caulk for new windows

I put in new windows and was looking at caulk to seal around them. I have pvc trim around the windows and steel siding around the outside of the trim. I always used dap 100% silicone. I was wondering if there is something better or what you guys use as far as flexibility, waterproofing,adhesion and durability. I see so many kinds and brands available it is confusing. any suggestions? thanks

Old 08-16-16, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 895 Votes on 821 Posts
You never use silicone anywhere you will need to paint... and silicone wont stick to pvc for long. I would recommend OSI Quad or Quad Max.

Old 08-20-16, 05:06 AM
F
xsleeper: I caulked around one window with silicone and you were right the silicone sticks to the steel siding but you can easily pull it away from the pvc. I was wondering if you know If I cut the silicone away as well as possible, and reapply with the osi quad will the quad stick to the silicone residue? I guess what I was wondering is will the quad adhere to the silicone caulk? thanks

frank

Old 08-20-16, 05:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 895 Votes on 821 Posts
It probably will. Scrape it off as best as you can.

Old 08-20-16, 05:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Quad and Quad Max will adhere to most anything, but I would get as much of the silicone off as possible. You are limiting yourself to relying on the silicone as a base if you don't remove it, and as Brant said, it isn't good where you will be painting.

Old 08-21-16, 04:32 AM
F
I got some osi quad yesterday and cleared away the silicone. I was amazed at how quickly the osi skinned over, it seemed to adhere to the pvc and the steel. I don't know how long it takes to cure, but there sure isn"t any time for tooling the caulk. does anyone know how long it takes for the osi to cure? time will tell now and I will let you know how it does once it is cured. thanks

frank

Old 08-21-16, 04:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Here's some information on the OSI Quad products. http://www.ositough.com/content/dam/...S/quad_tds.pdf

Old 08-22-16, 03:45 AM
F
thanks for the info.

frank

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: