Rot Problem: resealing drip edge to siding

Old 08-19-16, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rot Problem: resealing drip edge to siding

My front has this brick garden thing, and theres this medal flashing that then goes and hits a piece of rotted out wood that was once caulked in... so to repair this I need to cut out a piece of wood, and caulk it into the wall? and eventually replace my siding that has dry rotted correct? What caulk should I use?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-16, 04:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
The flashing doesn't have to be caulked to the siding but the flashing does need to slightly slope away from the siding. When it's tipped up like yours it sends the rain water back to the siding instead of away from it.

Old 08-20-16, 05:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 229 Votes on 211 Posts
Looks like it was done poorly in the first place... that "flashing" doesn't go up behind the siding. Since the siding is not long for this world, I would probably do a temporary repair. Remove the old white aluminum trim coil, get some gutter apron flashing... install it upside down on top of your siding. Then install a 1x4 on the siding over the top of that. Caulk the top edge of the 1x4 where it meets the siding... caulk the front edge of the gutter apron where it meets the brick. At least that will keep water from going behind the planter. When the siding is replaced someday you can fix it right. Paint the 1x4 and gutter apron to match the siding.

Old 08-20-16, 06:04 AM
Received 29 Votes on 25 Posts
I just hate to see it when they build a planter like that against the side of a home like that for several reasons.
Most modern codes would call for that siding to be at least 6" above grade.
Last thing you want is what amount to a pond holding in water next to a foundation, termites love it when you do.
If I get stuck having to install a drip cap like that I use PVC cap and wrap it like this.
https://www.google.com/search?q=drip...AHjYfO5n4SM%3A
Caulking that drip cap to siding area would be a big mistake and hold in water.
If I had to fix what you have there I'd be cutting out that bottom row of siding, using a flat bar to pry the bottom of the next row out enough to be able to cut off the bottom nails, leaving the top of the old siding in place to act as a kick out.
Sliding in a pieces of Z molding behind the old siding, then installing PVC lumber to cover the bottom of the wall, making sure it's wide enough to run past the foundation.