Damp wood at bottom of basement door frame?

Old 08-28-16, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Damp wood at bottom of basement door frame?

Now...another problem. I have an exterior basement door that is down a concrete stairwell. The way the sun shines here, the bottom half of the door & frame gets ZERO sun, so it's always in shade /damp/ rain/ snow. House is only 5 years old.
The paint down at the bottoms of the wooden door frame (not the door itself, which is metal) keeps peeling off, I re-paint the area each year. Just scraped it all away again and the wood underneath iss actually wet to the feel. What can i do to solve this before the wood actually rots away?
Is there a primer/sealer/painting solution to this? I've just painted so far, using ext. water-base paint (no primer / sealer). I've thought about brushing on some of that green copper-based 'end-cut' stuff, like we used to dip fence posts in before planting them in the ground! Maybe shellac...? Duck tape or WD-40? (kidding!) Also considered fashioning some sort of plastic covering to attach or place over area & seal with silicon or something... I dunno.
Any suggestions ? Thanks all!
(ps I have a couple of pics if anyone's interested)

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-16, 01:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Yeah, pictures will definitely help. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 08-29-16, 04:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
You should use a primer over bare wood! It's best to use an oil primer but that does require that the wood be good and dry prior to applying it. But if the wood is wicking up moisture from the bottom edge the paint will continue to peel. Is the jamb peeling or just the brickmold? If the latter, consider replacing it with pvc/vinyl brickmold. Look forward to seeing the pics.

Old 08-29-16, 09:13 AM
not sure about the 'technical' terms - jamb & brickmold.
the problem is at the bottoms of the 'sides' of the wooden door frame. where it meets the base & about a foot up from that.
pictures to follow shortly!! thanks.

Old 08-29-16, 10:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The jamb is the "1x6" that the hinges and striker plate attach to. The brickmold is the trim that dresses up the front of the jamb [approximately 1"x2"]

Old 08-29-16, 12:52 PM
trying to upload pics as per instructions above. it's a jpeg file & it goes thru the motions ...loading ..100% ect.
put I keep getting a msg that says loading has failed. help?

Old 08-29-16, 01:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not very good at posting pics I do know if they are too big they won't post. Hopefully one of the others can better instruct you thru it.

Another option is to post the pics to a site like photobucket.

Old 08-29-16, 01:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
Cell phone pictures often are too big and must be resized.

Old 08-29-16, 01:43 PM
it's a not phone picture. camera. 578 bytes jpeg.I never have a problem posting my pics to other sites. never used those photosharing sites . dont know how.

Old 08-29-16, 01:52 PM
just tried loading pic on another site - with same uploading instructions as here - worked fine!