Problem construction with little cabin

Old 09-06-16, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem construction with little cabin

I am trying to build a little cabin in my yard.The framer buiot the frame but the rafters are all skewed one side or the other.We were trying to put he sheets on the roof and the nails did not hit the rafter because it is bent in the middle somewhere.Is there any solution to this?

Also the ceiling will follow the direction of the rafters.High in the back and low in the front.Is that going to be ok ?

Name:  shed 3 web.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  47.6 KB

Name:  shed1 web.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  48.1 KB

Name:  shed2 web.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  48.7 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 09-06-16 at 01:25 PM. Reason: removed extra pics - added spaces
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-16, 01:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 276 Posts
That roof is not ready for sheathing.

First, check that the rafters are on layout. This means they should be exactly 16" on center. Next you should install blocking between the rafters... above the top plate. This will keep the rafters plumb and spaced correctly. So cut some pieces of rafter 14 1/2" long and drive them between the rafters, toenail them in place. If you will have ventilation, you may need to knock some out later.

Your Subfascia should probably be installed before you sheet the roof. This will keep the rafter tails plumb and spaced correctly. You will need to twist each rafter before you nail it in order to hit layout lines that you will mark on the subfascia. But first, check that the tails line up with a stringline. If any are too long or short, the tails should be cut first.

You would also want to check that your walls are plumb before you get too far along. Bracing it is fine if the walls are plumb, but bracing it inside and sheeting the outside first would be better. You are likely getting the cart in front of the horse by wanting to sheath the roof first. The rafters should be checked diagonally to see if the roof is square. This means pulling a measurement from corner to corner (diagonally) on the roof, then check the opposite diagonal to see if they are equal. Your sheeting is all going to be square, so you want your roof rafter layout to be as well.

Pretty sure the roof should have hurricane ties on the rafters and also 1/2 j-bolts w/ nuts and square washers within 12" of bottom plate corners and ends, and should be spaced no more than 6' apart in between. Was this permitted/ is it getting inspected?

Old 09-07-16, 04:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Brant, looks as if there was a footer and band installed with joists and decking. I don't even see a bottom plate. Not sure if the band was secured with straps or not. Obviously not inspected.

Old 09-07-16, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rafters

The rafters themselves are not 16 inch on center but the wall studs are and each rafter is on top a wall stud.We are putting blocks in between each rafter and we have taken the sheeting off.There were four hurricane ties on each upper corner of rafter and four concrete tapcon screws to hold the floor joists to the concrete.The fascia is going up as well.It is going to be difficult to move the floor joists as the framer has put long nails into the rafters.We will measure the diagonals on the roof and make sure the walls are plumb before we start sheathing.Any other suggestions?

Old 09-07-16, 12:55 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Rafters

I am trying to build a little cabin in my yard.The framer buiot the frame but the rafters are all skewed one side or the other.We were trying to put he sheets on the roof and the nails did not hit the rafter because it is bent in the middle somewhere.Is there any solution to this?
Use blocking between the rafters at the mid-point. (Half way from the support point of opposite walls)

Old 09-07-16, 01:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 276 Posts
You generally tack your first sheet of plywood so that it is straight with a chalk line... then you push any crooked rafters over with your foot so that they are on layout (16" on center) then you nail the sheathing, which holds the rafters on layout. I would have done the barge rafters completely differently.

I dont know why you would need to move rafters if they are all 16" on center like the wall studs are.

Larry, good point, I missed that!