Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

What is the purpose of this 2x6 (and 2x4) nailed at both end of my fink trussed

Old 09-08-16, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the vertical photos, only way I can get the whole board in the picture.

There are two boards. One at each end in the attic. They are different sizes. Top of the board is loosely secured to the rafter with a screw, the bottom of the board is nailed to the mid support beam. My roof is a fink trussed roof, with fairly low pitch.

One of the board, the 2x6, became loose at the bottom, so I hammered it back into the mid support beam as best as I could, but it is not really perfect due to bend nails.

Not quite sure what they are for. I assume due to the ad hoc manner which they are installed, and the fact they are different sizes, means they are probably temporary support? Should I be concerned at the fact they are not very securely nailed or screwed in?

Thanks.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-16, 10:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 285 Votes on 261 Posts
Looks like it was either to help with the installation or it was an attempt at wind bracing. Generally truss mfg's will tell you where to brace, but by the looks of those trusses, and their plates, they were made in someone's back yard. Likely nothing to be concerned about.