Metal Piece between gutter and fascia? NOT DRIP EDGE

Old 09-11-16, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Metal Piece between gutter and fascia? NOT DRIP EDGE

I had to remove my gutters due to rotten fascias. I had to hire some handymen to help, as I did not have the brute strength to actually remove the fascia. As they removed the gutters, they told me the reason that the wood became was rotten was because there was a piece behind the gutters that was too small. This piece was nailed the the bottom portion of the fascia (so you do not see the wood) and only goes to half way up the fascia. The gutters are then nailed onto the fascia.

Does anyone know what this piece is called or if it is really needed? My guess for the reason that the wood rotted was because the drip edge is not long enough.

Any help is appreciated! I truly do not want to take the dang gutters down again to take any pictures or to have to replace this metal piece.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-16, 03:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 274 Posts
No idea. Can't see it. Sounds like someone installed aluminum fascia cover so that you wouldn't have to paint... but if they didn't take the gutters down, they could only shove it up so high before it hit the nails or screws. Not ideal, but not all that unusual either... happens all the time.

The fact that the fascia was not 100% covered would not have mattered as much if the roof had a drip edge long enough to cover the back edge of the gutter. Its also possible that it was rotten and they just covered it up so that it looked good. Lots of people cover rotten wood up instead of replacing it... out of sight, out of mind I guess.

What I see all too often is roofers that use 5" d-style drip edge along the bottom edge of the shingles to flash over a gutter (it's commonly used on gable ends). That flashing is not long enough to cover the back side of a gutter. That's where "gutter apron" or at least a 6" d-style should be used. I'm always surprised at the amount of people and places that don't use it. Must be a regional thing.

Even if the gutter is properly flashed, water can still sometimes get behind the gutters in the winter due to ice dams.

Old 09-12-16, 06:02 AM
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
I agree for the most part with xsleeper.
I've also seen far to many times where someone was to lazy to remove the gutters and wrap the facia correctly.
Should have been totally covered, not notch to fit around the nails or screws or left short.
That's just forming a funnel to trap water behind it.
It should have been long enough to slip in under the drip edge.