New roof: best quality shingles ?

Old 09-24-16, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New roof: best quality shingles ?

I am in the process of have a new roof installed. I was a quoted a terriffic price by a local reputable roofer, and he wants to install Tamko Heritage three dimensional fiberglass shingles. 30 yrs on the shingles, 5 year warranty on the install. So being a natural skeptic, I started scouring the web for information and personal reviews on Tamko. I found a real large amount of negative reviews(from homeowners). There is a few class action lawsuits currently pending against them, and it appears that the most common negative review was that Tamko puts a disclaimer on all their shingle packaging(that the homeowner never sees)that says that ALL claims against them must go thru arbitration with them directly, and they get the final say on the outcome of each case. So you cant sue them for breach of warranty? Or at the very least during arbitration, they will argue every piece of evidence(installers fault, weather beyond control, ect) that points to them not being responsible. So does anyone on here have any personal knowledge or experience with Tamko? Theyre not a new company, but Im wondering if they are getting cheaper with materials.
All contractors have their personal favorites Im sure, and this guy Im hiring has been installing Tamko for over a decade with very few problems he says. Should I ask for another brand if Im uncomfortable? What about GAF, Certainteed, Owens corning brands? Any personal favorites? Thanks for the feedback.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-16, 06:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I won't slam a brand, but I have heard the same thing on Tamco shingles, and the installers here won't use them. They prefer Owens Corning or other top brands. Yeah, they cost more, but you don't have to hassle of the warranty. In addition, the 5 year install warranty is only as good as the person who installed it, and how long they stay in business.

It is your roof, and if you don't feel comfortable with the Tamco, ask for quotes using other brands. The brand/style of architectural roof I had put on my house called for 5 nails per shingle. My wife let the installer know this. I warned him, although I would not be at home, she would hear the nail guns go off, and there had better be 5 sequential hits, or he'd have heck to pay.

Old 09-25-16, 06:54 AM
Received 29 Votes on 25 Posts
Have to agree that how there handled and installed is more important than the brand.
Something as simple as laying the bundles over the peak of the roof while there still in the bundles instead of laying flat can crack the shingles.
Not nailing along the printed nail line on the shingles can cause the shingles to come apart.
Not enough overhang can cause fachia damage and water to run behind the gutters.
Contract should say replace all flashing, not replace flashing as needed. (with a few exceptions, like if there already copper or old lead flashing in good shape)
Make sure it's in writing to replace any bad sheathing if found and how much it will cost.
Make sure there's drip edge installed on all roof edges not just the bottom of the roof, it's a cheap way to prevent sheathing damage.
Now's the time to address any roof venting issues.
Old house with 1 X 6 sheathing, if so consider going over it with new sheathing.