Corner roof leak- raining in NJ

Old 09-30-16, 06:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Corner roof leak- raining in NJ

By accident, I went in the attic over the garage this morning and realized there is a leak somewhere in the roof. I have pinpointed the leak for now. It is between a 2*6 and another 2*6, and hard to see where it is coming from. For now, I have placed a small pan to catch the water.

Question:

Can I shoot the yellow foam in a can (do not know what is called), but it is for insulation between and around the wood in the attic. Maybe it will fill everything in and go to the roof. Clearly I can put a nail from attic to roof, but will have to do on a clear day and then maybe somehow waterproof or calk where the shingles are. Definitely one of the corners has been compromised. Has to do with corner and there is a gutter. It may only need the gutter cleaned. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-16, 07:03 AM
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
Roofs can not be fixed from the inside!!
Need at least a picture of the outside so we can see what your seeing, not sure what "the corner" even means in this case or why you would be driving in any nails from the inside.
Any form of caulking would be a temperary fix at best.

Old 09-30-16, 09:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 290 Posts
There is NOTHING you can do from the inside. Spraying foam will likely make the problem worse by preventing the wood from drying out and may cause rot.

You or someone needs to go up on the roof when it's dry and look for the source of the problem. It could be a nail pop, loose flashing or a missing shingle. Sometimes the source of the leak can be somewhere away from where it's visible on the inside. So, start examining the roof on the outside in the area of the leak and anywhere uphill from that spot and in a cone.

Old 09-30-16, 09:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 514 Votes on 484 Posts
Has to do with corner and there is a gutter. It may only need the gutter cleaned.
Ummmmmm...... well that would be the perfect thing to try first.

Pictures would still be helpful. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html