Low slope roof - DIY?

Old 10-23-16, 03:50 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Low slope roof - DIY?

Hi everyone, I have a low slope roof over my sunroom. I can tell the plywood at the edge by the gutters is expanding and creates an area along the edge where the water sits. I've been at this house 11 years so the roof I assume is twice that age since it's been leaking once in a while for many years now. Looks like rubber. Is this a job an inexperienced (but handy) homeowner can pull off or should I leave it to the pros? It is about 15x20 feet. If so, should I used GAF Liberty? Thank you in advance for your help.

Old 10-23-16, 09:22 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Got a picture so we can see what your seeing?

Old 10-24-16, 03:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
How low is the slope? Shingles aren't usually recommended for roofs that have less than a 3/12 pitch.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 10-24-16, 05:48 AM
D
Thank you guys. I attached some pictures. The slope is about 12".

Attached Images    
Old 10-26-16, 06:27 AM
D
FYI, I just got an estimate to do this roof plus another flat roof aprox 30' x 25' for $3000. This other roof is much higher up so I am not thinking of doing it myself.
Is this a good price? I am tempted to just pull the trigger. This company did the other sections of the roof 9 years ago and never had any issues.

Old 09-20-18, 02:54 PM
D
I still haven't replaced this flat roof. I just had another leak so I really need to get this done. The company that gave me the $3k estimate is too busy right now so I got another estimate....$4.3k. I just don't have that kind of money right now so I want to try to do it myself.
What do you recommend? Should I fix this instead of replacing it? Looks like the main issue is that when it was installed, they didn't wrap it around the edges and behind the gutters. Maybe I can get some rubber membrane and extend it around the edges? The only issue is that some of the plywood seems to be in bad shape and the nails don't stick to it. I am a little nervous about removing the existing membrane, replacing the plywood, and re installing. What do you guys think?
Thank you for your help in advance.

Old 09-21-18, 08:06 AM
D
Here are more pictures I just took this morning. Maybe I am over reacting and all it needs is new caulking all around both roofs. Ideally I should re do the edges so the rubber wraps around and then install the gutters in front of it.

Can someone tell me what sealant I should be using? Thank you for your help.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1efyf5ava...Yo5Z7BgFa?dl=0

Old 10-03-18, 06:48 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
What are they going to use ? My neighbor just got his done with large 3' roll out material (Peel and seal style) for slight pitches. This looks like the best product for your case. I would go to a roof outlet and you can inquire exactly what it is, correct name? and recommendations for you slope. I would also ask to see current work if you dont know the reputation of the roofers. good luck

Old 10-04-18, 03:04 AM
D
Thank you for the recommendation. I got another estimate....even higher than the previous one. They were going to use EPDM membrane.
I went ahead and caulked all around the edges and so far no more leaks.
I'll probably do it in the spring using PVC rolls. I've read they are the most durable and they are peel and seal.
Thanks again.

Old 10-04-18, 05:07 AM
B
Received 292 Upvotes on 259 Posts
Pics seem to indicate structural problems that should be corrected before fixing the roofing material. The roofing underlay is warped. The end of the rafter on one end of the roof has rotted. The white material above the gutter should not be lifting the roofing material up at the edge. If it is also the drip edge, it should be behind the roofing material. How is the porch roof sealed at the joint with the upper roof?

Old 10-04-18, 07:15 AM
D
Yes, thank you, I am planning to change all bad plywood. I am not sure about which rafter you are referring to. What is the picture number?
Flat roof is joined with the upper roof by going underneath the shingles on one side, and the vinyl siding on the other.

Old 10-05-18, 05:59 AM
B
Received 292 Upvotes on 259 Posts
Second pic from top. Something is allowing the roof to dip on the right hand side. My guess is a rotted rafter.

Old 10-05-18, 06:07 AM
D
ok, thank you for pointing that out. I'll take a good look once I put it apart.

Old 10-11-18, 03:57 PM
E
I installed the GAF Liberty system myself on my low-slope roof five years ago. No problems or complaints so far. Although I would recommend using the mechanical layer beneath the self adhering layer (the 3-layer system). I didn't use the mechanical layer and I'm now struggling with how I'm going to remove part of self-adhering membrane to renovate/enlarge a portion of the roof.

Googling it now, the easiest way (especially if repairs might be necessary again 20 years from now) is to pry the roof off the nails. Removing the self-adhering layer directly from the plywood is probably going to destroy the deck in the process. Just keep in mind the nails in the mechanical layer are the only thing holding the roof on at that point so get the recommended ones and don't deviate from the instructions lol.

Old 10-11-18, 04:55 PM
D
Good point, I'll keep this in mind. Appreciate your response.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: