Would Tyvek or visquine work in this application

Old 04-23-01, 07:22 PM
Visiting Guest
I hope this isnt too long but here goes.

I have a question regarding the application of a moisture barrier material that is out of the ordinary.

My home is a simple 1400sf structure with an simple A roof. All ceilings are cathederal and since I live in So. California there is little if any insulation in the ceiling. The present roof on my home is asphalt shingle and is about 16 years old. I noticed Friday evening in my garage (it was rainging) that when it rains I have some very small drip type leaks. These leaks are just enough for
the moisture to run very slowly downward and appear on the low side wall. I plan on removing and re roofing the whole home next year as part of some remodeling plans. I have not however decided whether I might use a composite type shingle or stay with asphalt ones.
As you may know here is So. Call we only get rain a small part of the year (something like 14-18 days of rain). For that reason I would like to get another season with this roof as I have other projects already in the pipeline ahead of the new roof project.
What I want to do in the interim is to put drywall up on the rafters and create a ceiling in the garage. I am a model railroader and wood worker so the reason for making the garage more into a shop/hobby room than a place to park cars. With this project in mind I was thinking of starting at the high wall point and putting tyvek across the inside of the rafters,then overlap the next layer after taping it and so on all the way down the roof rafters to the and the side wall. Then attaching to these same rafters the drywall which would be mudded and painted. I wonder if the tyvek will provide a moisture barrier effectively here and then after the new roof is done next summer it would only act as a 2nd line of
defense.
I certainly understand that this is not the intended use of tyvek but is it adaptable to this useage.

Old 04-24-01, 02:24 AM
Visiting Guest
sorry but what you are asking just doesnt make sense to me.i read your post a couple of times to be sure i didnt miss something.if you know your roof leaks why go to the trouble, not to mention the expense of sheet rocking before fixing the leaks?tyveck is not water proof visgueen is but will get condensation on the heated side.what you are thinking of is just not going to work without fixing your roof first sorry

Old 04-25-01, 12:44 PM
Visiting Guest
A good roof is your BEST investment. If it leaks at all it needs replaced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: