Leaking Gable Corner

Old 12-28-16, 10:46 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Leaking Gable Corner

When snow melted I noticed my roof leaked one floor down into my living room. You could tell by the appearance of a water mark on the ceiling. I am pretty sure the corner of the gable is leaking due to the directing of water behind the post, as in the picture. Does this sound reasonable? If so what would the solution be?
Thank you
Name:  IMG_1458.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  49.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-16, 01:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 720 Votes on 666 Posts
Its likely that the roofers did not flash the sides of the dormer very well if they didnt take off the vinyl siding. Its also possible that wind driven rain is getting behind the flashing on the corners. I would suggest all the dormer siding next to the roof be removed so that it can all be flashed correctly. Not a big deal, just kind of a pain to scaffold. (Roof jacks)

Its also possible that they didnt use step flashing, which flashes each row of shingles individually. L-flashing the entire side is inferior and often leaks.

...or maybe you had an ice dam.

Old 12-28-16, 02:20 PM
J
Is this the first time that you have had a water leak in this area? When was the last time any work was done on this area of the roof/house? The roof shingles do not look new.

Old 12-28-16, 02:28 PM
A
I just purchased the home. This is the first winter I have been here. This week we had a thaw here in Western New York. There were water stains where I bought the home but the owner had died. The roof was pretty new, I figured the stains were from the old roof as much of the interior needed work (paint, etc) I did not find it odd that the stains were not fixed.

Old 12-28-16, 04:37 PM
J
Does it leak during regular rain? Was there a lot of snow? Ice dams? Are there gutters in the vicinity of the leak area? Is there a window to the left of the corner trim?

Old 12-28-16, 05:36 PM
A
Does it leak during regular rain?

I do not believe so.

Was there a lot of snow?

Not by Buffalo standards.

Ice dams?

Could have been

Are there gutters in the vicinity of the leak area?

No
Is there a window to the left of the corner trim?

Yes maybe a foot and a half in

Old 12-28-16, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 720 Votes on 666 Posts
With vinyl siding, water can get behind the siding at the bottom corners of the window, (and then behind the roof flashing) so its possible rainwater could enter because of that, but you said this was from snow melt, so probably not the source of your most recent leak.