Water Infiltration at Roof / Wall Interface

Old 01-03-17, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water Infiltration at Roof / Wall Interface

I don't have any water coming into the house, but I fear I'm on track for that with this situation. When it rains, water is moving laterally from the area right around the gutter at the the roof/wall interface onto the brick face of our house and then running down and being absorbed through the brick and masonry. Here's a view:

Name:  IMAG1166.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  24.9 KB

Up at the site, water appears to be wicking off the shingling and then onto and across/down the brick, because the shingle is right up against and touching the brick. Should it be making contact like this?

Name:  IMAG1167.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  36.8 KB

Name:  IMAG1169.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  32.7 KB

I'm aware that best solution here is probably to have a kickout diverter installed, but for an immediate fix (and this might be all I need really), couldn't I just snip out a narrow strip of shingle, like a 1/4", so that there is a gap and the shingle isn't actually touching the brick? Then the rain would just roll off and drip into the gutter.

Please some opinions on whether this might just do the trick and keep the water off the house.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-17, 02:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 298 Votes on 271 Posts
That looks like a real cluster. I have never seen something so asinine. The shingle in your middle picture ought to have a step flashing (L-shaped) under it to close off the gap behind the brick. Then a counter flashing (upside down L-shape) covers the top of the step flashing and is tuck pointed into a mortar joint.

Pics from farther back during the daytime might help. We aren't seeing the whole picture.

Old 01-03-17, 04:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 311 Votes on 285 Posts
Do NOT just cut the shingles back. You're likely to see wood underneath. I suspect the roofers tried using the shingles to deal with that odd little area instead of properly flashing.

Old 01-03-17, 06:37 PM
OK, thanks. Will sit tight and get some more pics in daylight.

Old 01-09-17, 09:12 AM
It's taken me a few days to get some extra pictures so you can see the wider view, but here they are:

Name:  IMAG1174.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  39.3 KB

Name:  IMAG1176.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  45.1 KB

Name:  IMAG1175.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  35.6 KB

In addition to the shingle touching the brick issue, I've focused on this gap in the brick which is midway up the shingle in question. It almost looks like a chunk of brick is missing, and I've thought of shaping a piece of extra brick and mortaring it in there. But don't know if that would help or further screw things up.

Old 01-09-17, 10:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 311 Votes on 285 Posts
I would not try patching that with a brick. I would install flashing up behind the vinyl siding and let the flashing run long to cover the hole. Step flashing from a home center might just be long enough or you could use two pieces or just bend up some flashing yourself out of flashing stock material.

Old 01-17-17, 01:52 PM
OK, so if I let flashing run long to cover the hole, that would block one avenue of water getting onto or behind the brick fašade. But I guess I would really need to let it run all the way down to create a barrier between the bottom shingle and the brick, because I think at least some of the water is wicking onto the fašade due to the contact there. Am I right in my thinking?

I'm just trying to figure how to make this look decent, and not like a crappy patch job.

Old 01-17-17, 02:19 PM
Group Moderator
The shingle in your middle picture ought to have a step flashing (L-shaped) under it to close off the gap behind the brick. Then a counter flashing (upside down L-shape) covers the top of the step flashing and is tuck pointed into a mortar joint.
You would probably need to take a little siding loose to do this correctly. The step flashing would need to lap UNDER the others. And you will need to cut that first shingle so you can slip it underneath.

Old 01-18-17, 07:45 AM
Right, so pull the siding away from the brick, and the flashing will go under the shingle and behind the siding. Then recaulk/seal the edge of the siding to the flashing, and I assume along the top of the flashing to the brick. How would I then additionally fasten down the flashing, as not sure just this caulking would sufficiently hold it. Carefully lift up the second shingle overlap and put a nail through the flashing into the deck?

Old 01-18-17, 01:06 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, something like that. I think that first piece of metal flashing I see needs to go away... the one you put in will replace it... and will go under the first asphalt shingle and under the 2nd piece of metal flashing I see in the photo.

Old 01-18-17, 01:19 PM
OK, I think I'm clear on how to proceed. Thanks XSleeper, and Pilot Dane too, for the guidance here. Much appreciated.