Another leaky bay window. Help please!

Old 01-19-17, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another leaky bay window. Help please!

Hi, I would appreciate advice on a bay window that leaks during heavy rain with strong S/W wind (the house faces south). Water seeps inside, in the corner of the main floor window and then to the basement. No sign of leaks on the walls or ceilings, water seems to be cleanly channeled inside the wall/window. The contractor who installed the windows came, removed the siding, found a gap between the 2 wood panels under the siding, filled the gap with foam, caulked it, re-installed the siding and the water test showed no leak. All seemed good until this past fall the leaks started again. Rather than risking a band-aid job again I was hoping to get some opinion on the potential source of the problem. Should there be some kind of membrane under the siding? Is the installation of the drip edge (the metal thingy that holds the siding in place) at the top of the main floor window done properly? Are the corners done properly, should there be caulked joints there? I am including all the pics I think relevant but can post more if need be. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-17, 07:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 201 Posts
Foam is not a waterproof repair. The siding needs to come off. The drip cap over the windows should be sealed directly to the sheathing with a butyl flashing tape. (I'm also not sure the drip cap seams are overlapped and sealed properly... water could be getting in at the corners where they overlap) Then housewrap needs to be applied to the wall. The upper j-channel needs to be removed so that the top of the housewrap can be sealed to the sheathing. Then the j-channel can go back on. Can't see the top of the upper window, but there could be something to do there too.

Once the siding is off, it should be apparent where the water is getting in, an if the problem extends higher than first thought.

Old 01-20-17, 07:26 AM
Thanks XSleeper. I too am concerned about the drip caps. The upper window drip caps look different, i.e. they don't have seams in the corners other than the splicing in the bottom to bend them and which is well caulked. I'm pretty sure the top window is ok, the problem occurs somewhere between the bottom window drip edge and the ground, most likely just the drip edge or the siding or both seeing that under the bottom window there's just brick and a shrub that would protect the brick against driving rain and unlikely to cause issues. So, housewrap is something that should have been done? I'm not sure if there was one when the builder installed, can't recall what the area looked like Also, is it correct to use pieces of drip caps and caulking them as opposed to using one solid piece or at least not join them in the corners? One last question, my husband is thinking of taking down the siding by himself to see what's going on, would the siding panels be normally nailed down or would they be just held in place with the drip edge? I'm pretty sure when the contractor was removing them he was just bending them and sliding them out at an angle, I don't think he removed any of the drip edges or any other pieces.

Old 01-20-17, 07:45 AM
Group Moderator
The drip caps are pieces that have joints... but should overlap slightly, with sealant between. Yes some form of housewrap has been required since 2003 or so. The siding panels are hooked on one side and nailed or stapled on the other.

Old 01-20-17, 07:59 AM
Thank you. I was hoping to find some videos on installations of 2 bays separated by siding but found only single bays Would you know of any places that would have that info? we're total amateurs so a video or pics are almost a necessity. Would prefer to be prepared before we start ripping off the siding.

Old 01-20-17, 10:24 AM
Group Moderator
When you remove siding you will see the sheathing. The trim above your windows should have a flange that folds up onto the sheathing. You can seal it directly to the sheathing with the butyl flashing tape. Then put on the housewrap (a wrb). Leave the housewrap 1 1/2" short of the sill above. Then seal the top of the housewrap to the sheathing with more flashing tape.

Be observant and if it looks like the sheathing under that upper sill has ever been wet, you will want to check the top of the upper window too.

Old 01-20-17, 11:05 AM
Thanks again XSleeper. I think I understand...all should be clearer once the siding is off. Any tips on removing the siding without removing the thingys (drip edges?) that hold the siding in place? is it safe to pry them loose seeing that they're aluminum and will bend?

Old 01-20-17, 11:10 AM
Group Moderator
I cant see the bottom edge of those panels in any of the pictures so its hard to say for sure. But you need to figure out which is the first piece to remove... is it on the far left or the far right? If you start on the correct side, the first piece you should remove will expose the fasteners in the next piece.

Old 01-20-17, 11:23 AM
I will need to look but I think it's far right. In fact, I think the contractor didn't remove all of the panels, just the right and part of the center when he was patching up the gap. thanks!

Old 10-19-17, 09:15 AM
Got an email there was a post from Bill but don't see it here. It was back in August but I just got around to it, sorry for the delay Bill! If you can read this, please know I appreciate the time you took to post. Very helpful comments.

Old 10-19-17, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 34 Posts
Bill was a spammer who was banned and his post deleted. I would take any comments from him with a grain of salt!